Countertop in kitchen pantry

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Got a nice surprise when I showed up to finish a new home. Builder/buyer decided to add a base cabibet and countertop in the pabtry. Would you consider this as part of the kitchen? I do

What do you think about requiring countertop receptacle? I think yes Screenshot_20220818-094950_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220818-094928_Gallery.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm thinking not required. Ask your AHJ?

Could be handy to have, could be hazardous.

Does the customer have a preference?

Price it well and make more money.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You never know what a HO is thinking with something like this. However, I think it's unlikely they would use it for anything requiring power. I would not add a receptacle unless the inspector deemed it necessary.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
I'm seeing this as being a requirement by the 2020 NEC. Art. 210.52 (C) uses the word "pantries" when complying for Countertops and Work Surfaces if the work surface is 12" or wider. *side note* It also lists dining rooms and breakfast areas. If you had countertop spaces in these areas it appears that the requirements of 210.52 (C) (1) through (C) (3) would apply. Seems a little strange to me though. But remember "Charlie's Rule" :)

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
210.52 small appliance branch circuit includes the pantry. That is how I take it.

This is 2017

(B) Small Appliances.
(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast
room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the
two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits
required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle
outlets covered by 210.52(A), all countertop outlets covered
by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This may help

(C) Countertops and Work Surfaces.

In kitchens, pantries, breakfast rooms, dining rooms, and similar areas of dwelling units, receptacle outlets for countertop and work surfaces that are 300 mm (12 in.) or wider shall be installed in accordance with 210.52(C)(1)through (C)(3) and shall not be considered as the receptacle outlets required by 210.52(A).
For the purposes of this section, where using multioutlet assemblies, each 300 mm (12 in.) of multioutlet assembly containing two or more receptacles installed in individual or continuous lengths shall be considered to be one receptacle outlet.

1660836692085.png

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Yeah. Adding a receptacle on rough in is one thing but adding one on final will be a major pain and not cheap for the home owner
Yup. This whole house is finished. Bathroom above, wine room below.

It'll involve substantial drywall cutout to get it onto a small appliance circuit

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Regardless of homeowner request, code is clear, once they added a countertop not just the built in open shelves, it initiates the receptacle outlet requirements.
Just have it not fixed to the wall. Then is just a piece of furniture.
Looks easy enough to do and cheaper than installing an receptacle.
Then you have wall space of atleast 2 ft, now you still have a wall receptacle required.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In a pantry? I would think it’s just like a closet (for food).
I don’t know the answer, hence the question.
Answered in posts 5 through 7. A counter-top one foot or wider in a pantry must have a small-appliance receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.