Receptacle outlet for AC equipment service

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

So one of my guys fouled up and forgot to run a circuit for a receptacle to satisfy 210.63 I think I have a solution but want to put it out there and see what you guys think

For the current setup right now is I have a mini split unit with a MCA of 20 amps and a MOP of 25 amp.

We have a number 10 from the panel going out there my plan was to put a 35 amp breaker in the main into an outdoor splice box

from an outdoor splice box Mount to disconnects one fused at 25 amps for the AC unit and one fuse at 15 amps for a service receptacle basically using the number 10 as a feeder and tapping it

Anybody see any issues with this. I wasn't sure if you use 35 amps or 30 for that feeder

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

nickelec

I have a three wire this is in New York city so it's an AC cable 10/3 AC

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
So basically your AC disconnect is a sub panel.

I would use a 30 amp breaker feeding the sub panel, that would ensure the 10 gage wire will be safe. But defer to more experienced people than I.

nickelec

I actually don't want to use a subpanel all I plan to do is put a splice box and tap the number 10 to two separate disconnects

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
I don't know then, but I doubt you will ever pull more than 30 amps. I can't answer question on splice box, but 30 Amp breaker would be safe for #10.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So one of my guys fouled up and forgot to run a circuit for a receptacle to satisfy 210.63 I think I have a solution but want to put it out there and see what you guys think

For the current setup right now is I have a mini split unit with a MCA of 20 amps and a MOP of 25 amp.

We have a number 10 from the panel going out there my plan was to put a 35 amp breaker in the main into an outdoor splice box

from an outdoor splice box Mount to disconnects one fused at 25 amps for the AC unit and one fuse at 15 amps for a service receptacle basically using the number 10 as a feeder and tapping it

Anybody see any issues with this. I wasn't sure if you use 35 amps or 30 for that feeder
I don't see how you could use a 35 amp OCPD on #10 conductors. 30 amp OCPD to JB taps to each fused disconnect. If you use all #10's to the line side of the disconnects the tap rule won't apply.

nickelec

I don't see how you could use a 35 amp OCPD on #10 conductors. 30 amp OCPD to JB taps to each fused disconnect. If you use all #10's to the line side of the disconnects the tap rule won't apply.
I agree 30 amp max but is it compliant to do what I want I can't find an issue with it

nickelec

Nor can I think of any other way to get a receptacle out there without causing major damage

nickelec

I believe this is compliant anyone disagree?

nickelec

I could feed a small panel with the number 10s as well but the feeder would then be required to sized for 15 amps plus the MCA of ac correct? Basically Im trying to figure out if the #10s I already have ran to the location can be utilized for either application.

nickelec

Receptacle does not need a separate ocpd since I'm not technically using a tap if I'm correct

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Receptacle does not need a separate ocpd since I'm not technically using a tap if I'm correct

The #10 will need to be protected at 30A. The feeder will need 3 insulated circuit conductors (H,H,N) as well as the EGC (AC cable, the sheath).

If you split to two #10's (one for the AC, one for the receptacle) then you don't have 'taps', and don't need OCPD to protect these _conductors_.

But the AC requires a 25A OCPD, and the receptacle will require a 15 or 20A OCPD. So outside you will need 2 OCPDs.

I am currently planning a 50A feeder to a 8 space 3R panel, and using that to supply 3 condenser units and the receptacle; so I've been looking at this topic for an install that I am working on.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.