No ground wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi there. I'm looking at a single phase 240V well feed that has three #6 conductors, B/R/W, with the white being used as the ground. It's fed in underground plastic pipe, 600' from the MSP. The customer is wanting to change to a 3-phase pump, and I'm wondering if I can just add some ground rods at the well location and steal that white conductor for the third leg? Are there any requirements that the pipe have the ground run in it? THX! -Daniel

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Let’s do the math on a ground rod, 25 ohms, 240 volts, what is the current to ground if the motor shorts? Will the breaker open?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Hi there. I'm looking at a single phase 240V well feed that has three #6 conductors, B/R/W, with the white being used as the ground. It's fed in underground plastic pipe, 600' from the MSP. The customer is wanting to change to a 3-phase pump, and I'm wondering if I can just add some ground rods at the well location and steal that white conductor for the third leg? Are there any requirements that the pipe have the ground run in it? THX! -Daniel
A connection to Earth ground in and of itself doesn’t clear faults and act as an EGC. You’ll have to pull another conductor no way around it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are there any requirements that the pipe have the ground run in it?
Yes each branch circuit is required to have an EGC run with the ungrounded conductors. You'll need 4 conductors in a PVC raceway for a 3Ø branch circuit.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
And while you're at it bond the metal casing of the well. As it makes an excellent grounding electrode. ( I'm told )
This is not optional. Metallic well casings must be connected to the EGC. See 250.112(M). There have been deaths over the years due to unbonded well casings. All modern well casing caps have provision for this.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
I just hope the diameter of the 600' plastic pipe is large enough to accommodate another conductor. Is it legal to run the grounding conductor outside the pipe, maybe even direct burial of solid bare copper, (just throwing ideas at the wall to see if they stick).

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Best option is to tell the customer to stay with a single phase pump.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I was thinking the same thing, but then he wouldn't be a customer.
Many times the customer just needs to be informed of the best option and is appreciative of the help, you will not loose a customer. On the other hand not advising them and then another EC comes along and does will most likely loose the customer

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
Not cheap but very doable.
What would the cost be compared to running a new wire, or in the case the pipe is too small, running a larger plastic pipe?

More importantly, are the existing conductors sized to handle new 3 phase pump and the conversion equipment?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
What would the cost be compared to running a new wire, or in the case the pipe is too small, running a larger plastic pipe?

More importantly, are the existing conductors sized to handle new 3 phase pump and the conversion equipment?
Depends on those pesky details we don't have.
Were the conductors oversized for VD?
What HP does he want vs what he had?

#6 for 600' indicates a pretty small set up.

OP pulls new conductors, keeps it as is, or adds phase conversion.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
OP pulls new conductors, keeps it as is, or adds phase conversion.
I don't know if it's compliment, but I still think the cheapest way would be to steal the white wire and make it a phase leg, then run a direct burial 6AWG bare copper for the grounding conductor

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't know if it's compliment, but I still think the cheapest way would be to steal the white wire and make it a phase leg, then run a direct burial 6AWG bare copper for the grounding conductor
What code section would allow you to run 600' of bare conductor outside of the raceway for the EGC?

Status
Not open for further replies.