Finding the breaker alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irving LaRue

Occupation
Electrician Apprentice
I recently had an issue at a customer’s house where I couldn’t find the circuit I was working on. I was troubleshooting a switch and the client had a 30+ circuit panel, with 2 subpanels, none of which were properly labeled.

If I had someone with me, this wouldn’t be an issue, but I was alone. I’ve had homeowners help me in the past, but that’s never ideal and this particular owner was an older gentleman who couldn’t help much. I tried flipping a few breakers, jogging up to the 3rd floor, and testing the circuit. This was frustrating, tiring and not ideal because there were people working from home in the house.

I found some testers online that will locate a circuit, but they work by plugging something into an outlet and testing at the panel.

I ended up replacing the switch while it was hot, which turned out ok, but I never want to do that if I don’t have to.

Any suggestions or recommendations for locating a circuit when alone? Thanks for the advice!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In many cases the receptacles in a room may be connected to the light cir. I have used an extension cord and plugged a drill into it. If the cord can reach the panel that makes it easy. If not then I lock the switch and make sure it is clear of anything.

macmikeman

I second the loud radio. I also will note they are difficult to come by in the loud variety nowadays, but I came across one at a GoodWill after searching local stores of the type where purchasing a portable loud radio with a 120 volt pigtail and no automatic battery backup 20 yrs ago was a snap. It's not a snap any longer. Most without the battery backup have clock radio's only and the speakers on those aren't big enough to do a proper job.

Why do so many electricians not have a circuit tracer/finder?? I mean I would think if I was a homeowner and saw an electrician doing trial and error or a loud radio or some other half baked scheme I would think it was pretty mongrel...... That said, I've been doing this for 22 years and just bought a circuit tracer a few months ago 😂

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Those circuit tracers have extras that you either buy or they come with it that let you connect to a light socket or just the wires. There is a pigtail to plug the "sender" part of the tracer in to. You can always buy a pigtail socket with alligator clips and buy a screw in receptacle socket and use the tester with that. This is actually what comes with some.
I learned very early in my career that you need some "help toys" if you're working alone!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I found some testers online that will locate a circuit, but they work by plugging something into an outlet and testing at the panel.

Buy one that plugs in but make a short pigtail with nm and a duplex receptacle. One end is free so you can connect it to wires directly and you plug the device into that receptacle

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Buy one that plugs in but make a short pigtail with nm and a duplex receptacle. One end is free so you can connect it to wires directly and you plug the device into that receptacle
I made mine with a two prong female cord cap, flexible cord, and alligator clips

James L

Occupation
Electrician
😅😅😅
The OP wanted to find the circuit, to turn it off, so that he could swap out a switch.

Almost all the suggestion involve 10 times the work, or 10 times the safety risk as it is to just change the device hot

Status
Not open for further replies.