415/240 V color code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knarfluna

Occupation
Electrician
I’m surprised to see so many not familiar with this color code. With the amount of Data Center popping up nationwide, most are using this voltage.

Also shocked to see nothing written as a standard practice.

A=PURPLE
B=TAN
C=PINK
N=GREY

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I’m surprised to see so many not familiar with this color code. With the amount of Data Center popping up nationwide, most are using this voltage.
I don't recall ever seeing an expected 415 voltage reading on my tester in my 30+ years ... 480 sure ..
It's a big Industry, one can't know and do it all I suppose ..
how is that 240/415 range derived, similar to 120/208 I suppose.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician

Also shocked to see nothing written as a standard practice.

A=PURPLE
B=TAN
C=PINK
N=GREY
Is this an industry practice.
If so I will add this to my chart for the application.
As I do not do a lot of that work would you share more details on application from trans, feeder to branch.
This way. Prepared when I run across it. Maybe even through some side articals related.
Thank you

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
For UK the residential conductors are brown, blue, and yellow/green. And just 230V and neutral.
It used to red, black, and yellow/green which was much more sensible but the EU screwed that up..................:(

Knarfluna

Occupation
Electrician

Knarfluna

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks…you guys are correct…I guess it makes my life easier to differentiate the different voltages.

I was introduced to it on a project 5-6years ago, and even then it was spec’d to use these colors for this 415/240 voltage.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I don't recall ever seeing an expected 415 voltage reading on my tester in my 30+ years ... 480 sure ..
It's a big Industry, one can't know and do it all I suppose ..
how is that 240/415 range derived, similar to 120/208 I suppose.
In large data centers, the racks and racks full of computers, called “blade servers” (last I was directly involved) each have a power supply and they use 240V input fir the power supplies in order to keep current down. So they design the local in house distribution system as 415Y240V so that they get 240V L-N for each individual power supply, coming from a 3 phase feeder to each rack into a distribution block feeding single pole branch breskers. This way they deliver the lowest current per rack and lowest cost distribution, even though it means a (comparatively) oddball voltage here (it is fairly standard elsewhere in the world).

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
In large data centers, the racks and racks full of computers, called “blade servers” (last I was directly involved) each have a power supply and they use 240V input fir the power supplies in order to keep current down. So they design the local in house distribution system as 415Y240V so that they get 240V L-N for each individual power supply, coming from a 3 phase feeder to each rack into a distribution block feeding single pole branch breskers. This way they deliver the lowest current per rack and lowest cost distribution, even though it means a (comparatively) oddball voltage here (it is fairly standard elsewhere in the world).
Sounds a bit British!

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
After 50 years, one of the few absolutes I've found (at least in the US), there are no consistent standards when it comes to colors - wires, lights, pushbuttons, etc). Never trust a color code. Even when a facility had a color code for phasing and/or voltage, it was never consistently followed.
Lol, I used to say “at least green is always ground”, but a few weeks ago I saw a 3phase machine from China come in with green as a phase color… that’s not going to age well here I don’t think.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Thank you for the link.
Thanks are for adding information.

I do have a question.
For these would the netural be counted as a CCC impacting feeder conductor sizing.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Should be the same as 208Y/120 no?

-Hal
Thank you for the link.
Thanks are for adding information.

I do have a question.
For these would the netural be counted as a CCC impacting feeder conductor sizing.
Kinda ask a bad question.
Let's try this.
If it used a 120/208 three phase.
The netural would or could be sized on based on 250.102 for all the 208v single phase loads. No line to netural loads I would say the netural in this case would not count as a CCC if one was installed on the feeder.
Now with the 415/240 system it's all netural loads 240 line to netural and would require a full size netural. Then I would count the netural on the Fedder as a CCC.

Carultch

For UK the residential conductors are brown, blue, and yellow/green. And just 230V and neutral.
It used to red, black, and yellow/green which was much more sensible but the EU screwed that up..................:(

I preferred the UK's old code of Red/Yellow/Blue convention for 240/415V, and for any of the neighboring voltages that are common in the rest of Europe (220/380V, & 230/400V). It's unfortunate that is no longer the standard.

Man of the foreign color codes that are the current standard, would not meet code in the USA, since the IEC standard uses gray as a phase conductor and blue as the neutral. If there were foreign color schemes that at least complied with the standard of white/gray for neutral, and green for protective Earth, and then I would follow them. Gray and white make the most sense to me as a neutral, since that's the closest to how the plastic starts before you add pigments. And ground makes sense to me, just like a landscaper would describe it: "it's either green or bare".

Status
Not open for further replies.