14/2 and 18/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
Can 14/2 and 18/2 be in the same single gang box? I am referring to the garage door opener receptacle. Thanks

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Typically no, esp if your 18/2 is the t stat (bell wire).
What is it you are trying to do so we can find a solution?

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
I have always done this. Always passed the electrical inspection. i see many other new houses like this. The city building inspector does not think it is allowed. Thanks

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have always done this. Always passed the electrical inspection. i see many other new houses like this. The city building inspector does not think it is allowed. Thanks
The 18/2 thermostat cable for the door controls is a class 2 circuit. It is not allowed in the box with the power circuit. There are some exceptions to this for class 2 circuits but they would not apply in this case. In any case I'm not sure why you even want to do this.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not sure why you even want to do this.
So it can give a cleaner look than a second box for lovo. It can get rolled up in the back of the box before the 120v, and then it's out of the way of the drywallers using a rotozip.

We used to do it like that all the time here in KC
After being failed a couple of times, I started stubbing next to the outside of the box so the 18/2 could still emerge from behind the receptacle plate. The aforementioned drywall thugs tore it up more times than not.

I started using a separate box a number of years ago. It's just as easy, and certainly more predictable

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
Well, it sounds like I shall change my future single gang garage door opener box to two boxes. 1 for 14/2, and 1 for 18/2. Thanks.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Well, it sounds like I shall change my future single gang garage door opener box to two boxes. 1 for 14/2, and 1 for 18/2. Thanks.
For what it's worth, I always nail on my receptacle box first, then I use the head of my hammer as a spacer to set the lovo box about an inch away

Just a fast and easy way to space them the same every time

HEYDOG

For what it's worth, I always nail on my receptacle box first, then I use the head of my hammer as a spacer to set the lovo box about an inch away

Just a fast and easy way to space them the same every time
They make a 2 gang box. One side for 120 volt receptacle/ other side for low voltage. May be just as cost effective using two single gangs!

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
Carlon and others make a 2gang box, half is high volts, half low volts.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Using a 2 gang Carlon box might seem like a good idea, but I think not. The box is more expensive, for sure

Then, what kind of opening would you create for the lovo side? Then, what kind of plate will you use?

Maybe a duplex + toggle switch plate and run the lovo out the toggle hole? Then the lovo side of the plate is not attached.

Maybe a brushed decora insert and duplex + decora plate? That would add $8.00 or more

Duplex + blank? Add $7.00

James L

Occupation
Electrician

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The control wire for the door would have to have the same temperature rating as the 120V conductor.
More importantly, it would need to have the insulation voltage rating to be a minimum of the highest voltage in the box. Insulation voltages generally come in 3 levels for LV wiring: 50V, 300V and 600V. MM-B is 600V, so assuming your garage door is 120V that’s fine, but many low voltage (alarm and signal low) wires are 50V max, so cannot be in the same box. You CAN find 300V and even 600V signal wiring, you just have to look for it.

The other rules about Class 2 circuits would still apply of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.