Have to use fused disconnect if the walk-in freezer compressor name plate state "Max. Fuse Size"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zemingduan

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Do you have to use fused disconnect if the walk-in freezer compressor name plate states "Max. Fuse Size" instead of "Max. Overcurrent Protection" or "Max fuse or HACR breaker size" ? Code reference in NEC 2017 for this requirement? Thank you!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If it is marked "Fuse"or "fuse only" with no provision for other protection, there has to be fuse protection somewhere in the circuit.
110.3(B) & 440.22

zemingduan

Occupation
Electrical Designer
If it is marked "Fuse"or "fuse only" with no provision for other protection, there has to be fuse protection somewhere in the circuit.
110.3(B) & 440.22
I think 440.22 doesn't mention fuses. Do you mean since 440.22 requires short circuit and ground fault protection for compressor motor. And 110.3(B) required you to install according to the instructions included in the listing and labeling. If the name plate or the instruction manual only list the fuse but no other protection devices, you have to have fuses some where in the circuit. Is this your logic?

Thank you!

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Look to the Installation Manual foot notes to determine what options are available.

Attachments

• Airtemp Package Heat Pump #2_Page_2.jpg
    Airtemp Package Heat Pump #2_Page_2.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 34

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Look to the Installation Manual foot notes to determine what options are available.
In my opinion, they should have that note on the nameplate also.

How does the inspector know the specs. haven't changed? We all know there is usually a disclaimer at the bottom of every cutsheet that says "Specs are subject to change without notice."

I think that leaves the final decision up to the inspector to decide.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think that this is just poor manufacturer language. I really doubt that any equipment of this size produced in 2022 would require fuse protection that wasn't integral to the unit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I think that this is just poor manufacturer language. I really doubt that any equipment of this size produced in 2022 would require fuse protection that wasn't integral to the unit.
To this day, more than anything else, I see walk in freezer and refrigerator condenser units marked "Fuse" with no options. Not sure why but they seem to be the slowest to adapt.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion, they should have that note on the nameplate also.

How does the inspector know the specs. haven't changed? We all know there is usually a disclaimer at the bottom of every cutsheet that says "Specs are subject to change without notice."

I think that leaves the final decision up to the inspector to decide.
If I would be inspecting, I am not going to look for the specs. If the nameplate says fuse, or MFS, I will be requiring a fuse as the OCPD for the equipment.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
To this day, more than anything else, I see walk in freezer and refrigerator condenser units marked "Fuse" with no options. Not sure why but they seem to be the slowest to adapt.
I think that it's just stupid people who are writing the material for the labels. :rolleyes:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Kind of like the instructions for a light fixture I just saw that said only included materials were to be used. Guess I violated 110.3 when I used different wire nuts.
Exactly or when they require something that is completely unnecessary and far exceeds or is not even required by the NEC. Portable generators comes to mind. Mike Holt had complained about this stuff for years.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Even worse when the instructions contradict the NEC.
Worst I see is hot tubs requiring a #6 EGC when the code says #10. I never comply with that!

As to the OP, someone mentioned the specs might say you have options. That is not my experience. Specs I see say to go by the nameplate. I've looked at specs a hundred times to get info so I know what wire to run and the equipment is not on sight, only to see "go by the nameplate"
So, IMO, you have to use fuses if that's what the nameplate says.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Worst I see is hot tubs requiring a #6 EGC when the code says #10. I never comply with that!
That was my point that the people writing this stuff are clueless and can easily call the OCPD a fuse instead of what they really intended it to be either a fuse or a circuit breaker. Since the nameplate does say fuse I would contact the manufacturer to see if that is what is actually required.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
My understanding is, as difficult as it is to believe, it has to do with $$$ :)
It cost more to have the listing agency test for both fuse and breaker than simply for fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.