How many 12/2 cables…

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many 12/2 NM cables can you run through a 2 inch Romex connector? I always ran two per 1/2” KO but recently had a few scenarios with a recessed load center and old wires that were all on one side of the bay and weren’t long enough to spread across the top of panel so I started using larger connectors and jamming them in one hole. I know there’s a limit I just don’t know what it is. It would be great if there were a table somewhere that compared size of the connectors to size of conductors and how many of each. Can anyone point me in this direction?

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
How many 12/2 NM cables can you run through a 2 inch Romex connector? I always ran two per 1/2” KO but recently had a few scenarios with a recessed load center and old wires that were all on one side of the bay and weren’t long enough to spread across the top of panel so I started using larger connectors and jamming them in one hole. I know there’s a limit I just don’t know what it is. It would be great if there were a table somewhere that compared size of the connectors to size of conductors and how many of each. Can anyone point me in this direction?
That seems to be a fairly new technique which I've come across while upgrading some tract home panels, I still do it the way I was taught by giving each cable its own connector or double them up, my reasoning is I'd be concerned about the tight grouping of so many current carrying circuits being an overheating issue, although that's me .. I suppose an inspector approved the installation when the tracts were being built.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That seems to be a fairly new technique which I've come across while upgrading some tract home panels, I still do it the way I was taught by giving each cable its own connector or double them up, my reasoning is I'd be concerned about the tight grouping of so many current carrying circuits being an overheating issue, although that's me .. I suppose an inspector approved the installation when the tracts were being built.

That is not a new technique at all. It was done around here over 30 years ago but I haven't seen it done lately. I am quite certain it isn't compliant. I have seen just a pvc coupling with a slip fitting with all the homeruns going thru. Not a compliant setup at all.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The 2" SE cable connector method for multiple NM cables is not code complaint because the connector is most likely not listed for more than one conductor. If you can find a connector that is listed for say 20 NM cables then you can stuf up to 20 cables in it. I've never seen one so listed.

So the answer to the OP's question is zero.

Interesting. Yeah I’ve seen the PVC sleeve with a million 12/2s coming into the panel many times. I think what got me on this was the square D quick rip system. I haven’t installed one yet but that thing looks amazing. The work just looks cleaner when all the wires are coming from one origination point.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Interesting. Yeah I’ve seen the PVC sleeve with a million 12/2s coming into the panel many times. I think what got me on this was the square D quick rip system. I haven’t installed one yet but that thing looks amazing. The work just looks cleaner when all the wires are coming from one origination point.
There is an installation practice with a PVC sleeve into a panel that is code complaint.

The Square D Quik-Grip system does look nice. Anyone ever use it?

kwired

Electron manager
The Square D Quik-Grip system does look nice. Anyone ever use it?
Coming into one where someone else did initial install I found it to be a somewhat a PITA to make changes to it, especially if you want to pull out one the rear cables without cutting it.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
CONNECTORS FOR INSTALLING
NONMETALLIC-SHEATHED AND
ARMORED CABLE
The connectors shown in Figure 4-34 are used to
fasten nonmetallic-sheathed cable and armored
cable to the boxes and panels in which they terminate.
These connectors clamp the cable securely to
each outlet box. Many boxes have built-in clamps
and do not require separate connectors.
The question continues to be asked: May more
than one cable be inserted in one connector? Unless
the U.L. listing of a specific cable connector indicates
that the connector has been tested for use with
more than one cable, the rule is one cable, one
connector. This will be marked on the carton.
ELECTRICAL

The 2" SE cable connector method for multiple NM cables is not code complaint because the connector is most likely not listed for more than one conductor. If you can find a connector that is listed for say 20 NM cables then you can stuf up to 20 cables in it. I've never seen one so listed.

So the answer to the OP's question is zero.
Keep in mind I’m talking about a 2” nm clamp connector, not the very similar looking 2” SE connector. It’s rounded instead of squared off. It would I guess be ideal for 4/0 SER rather than 4/0 SEU.

Status
Not open for further replies.