Proper torquing method

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
I am sure this has been covered but can't find it,, so,,
When torquing lugs do you go till the wrench clicks then wiggle the conductor and re-torque or stop at the first click.
I was taught and have done the torque wiggle torque, but something is scratching at the back of my head saying that is incorrect.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I am sure this has been covered but can't find it,, so,,
When torquing lugs do you go till the wrench clicks then wiggle the conductor and re-torque or stop at the first click.
I was taught and have done the torque wiggle torque, but something is scratching at the back of my head saying that is incorrect.
Some say don't even wiggle. I wiggle the conductor more on the way to torque, than after. Whatever trips your trigger.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
That's the way I am leaning also---Just getting old with too many things bouncing around in the head--just seemed to remember something about more than once causes an over torque--especially on smaller conductors--

OK No need to worry and no need to change! Thanks!!!

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Not lugs, but with 'set screw wire connectors' sometimes the strands can lay in ways that are not fully compressed.

Tighten the set screw, wiggle the wires, and everything moves just a bit and suddenly the set screw is loose.

It wouldn't surprise me is the same is possible with lugs now and then.

Jon

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I'll drop back to my mechanical work when aluminum was involved; never had any mechanical experience with copper except one standard small (1/4 pipe) washer used to seal gauges. We'd torque to about 80% wiggling anything we could wiggle, then go to 100% and hold for several seconds, I don't remember anything about 5 seconds. This is roughly what is recommended with "alloy" wheels. We found it rare to need "much" motion to get from 80% to 100% and it rarely experienced creep after that if the specs were correct.

Our checks, yes, I know it was technically wrong, was to use the torque wrench and apply specified torque. If the fastener moved, we'd be happy with the additional turning. If it didn't move, we'd be happy it was tight enough. We'd never intentionally exceed specs.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
My #1 for last year was the one I caught using an impact gun. His comment was it's has a tongue setting. I said you will never work for me go get your foreman.

#10 was a 1/2" drive in lb ft. Nice wrench tough. I ask do you know the difference between lb in and lb ft. He said I don't understand the metric system. I said stop what your doing go get your foreman.

The whole story would just make you all cringe.
Maybe a campfire chat story.

Most in-between (2-9) based the use of Allen wrenches sets and why you don't need a torque wrench of any kind.
So I think OP question is a good one.
I for one glad you ask. Thanks

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Good read. Me personally I have different types and sizes, click beam, dial, Long, short arm 1/4" - 1/2" and screw driver. Each has its place and requirements.

This give pause to how many times used, re-used equipment is installed with bad lugs and no good wrench will fix that. You have to look for the signs at removal. This starts with a check of condition.
I teach you cut the wire for salvaged equipment do not unhook it unless I say to after I have checked it. This is where the dial or beam comes in checking where it's at. If the lug is demand to be over tightened or other issues it is scraped and new one installed.
By over tightened I mean to the point of damage to the screw and lug. Once the threads are pulled it will never hold correctly if it ever gets tight to the proper setting. So look for the signs. Listen to what comments the removal electrician says. These are red flags for install.
"Man that lug was tight you should have heard the noise it made as I un did it."
" Do you have an extension handle I can't get it broke loose."
" It felt like I was going to break it when it popped loose."
" I could not get it all the way loose but I got the wire out"
" Why is there compound on the set screw"

Just some examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.