Temp Scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I know this is exhausting cause it sure is for me.
So they changed the location of my temp 45 kva transformer.
Instead of 100' away from breaker feeding it they want it right next to the panel/breaker feeding it.
I do have some concerns with others plan as indicated below.
So.......
Loads are
(3) temp trailer panels 120/208v single phase.
Trailer A - load current draw is ~80A
Trailer B - load current draw is ~35A
Trailer C - load curent draw is ~35A

1. 277/480V 3P-70A breaker feeds primary of 45KVA step down xfrm 5' away.
2. 120/208v side of 45kva xfrm #3/0 goes to splice box 100' away. My concern here is don't you need a disconnect on the secondary side here and I believe a splice would not be allowed. We are splicing the 3/0 to (3) SER cables, a 3/c #2/0, and (2) 3/C #4
3. We are running those cables to (3) exterior disconnect switches.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You have to abide by one of the 240.21(C) tap rules. In your situation, likely the 10' or 25' rule.
You can run from your secondary disconnect (required above) to one location and then use the 240.21(B) tap rules to your individual trailer fusible disconnects.

Short primary and long secondary is the LEAST cost effective but that may not be your call.
(The transformer outside by your disconnects would be the most ideal)

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
You have to abide by one of the 240.21(C) tap rules. In your situation, likely the 10' or 25' rule.
You can run from your secondary disconnect (required above) to one location and then use the 240.21(B) tap rules to your individual trailer fusible disconnects.

Short primary and long secondary is the LEAST cost effective but that may not be your call.
(The transformer outside by your disconnects would be the most ideal)
I had it so we were distributing for 480 V further, which would’ve been most ideal as you said, but it was changed as the owner now wants the transformer right by the panel, so we have a very short primary

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
His money :) 10 ft secondary to fused disconnect to j box with taps to your disconnects

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Like I said we are now running one set of secondary conductors to a splice box and splicing down to (3) sets of cable that will feed (3) disconnects that ill then feed 120/208v single phase trailer panels.
The disconnects are 3 pole(only thing we could get in time...NEMA 3R) but we are only using 2 poles.

The foreman is saying he needs to run 3 phase conductors from the xfrmr to balance out the phases. Is that correct?

I'm only asking because the disconnect are only requiring 2 phase conductors so I'm confused. Maybe when he splices from the one cable to the three something can be done with the extra phase conductor.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
In your scenario you must have secondary ovwercurrent protection within 25 of your transformer. You need a breaker or 3 pole fused disconnect. From there you run 3 phases, neutral and equip ground to you j box and tap to your individual disconnects per 240.21 tap rules.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In your scenario you must have secondary ovwercurrent protection within 25 of your transformer. You need a breaker or 3 pole fused disconnect. From there you run 3 phases, neutral and equip ground to you j box and tap to your individual disconnects per 240.21 tap rules.
My guess would be that this is an outside installation, and if so, there is no length restriction on the secondary conductors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My guess would be that this is an outside installation, and if so, there is no length restriction on the secondary conductors.
Regardless of length, can you run one set of conductors from the transformer secondary and then splice on three other sets before any OCPD?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Regardless of length, can you run one set of conductors from the transformer secondary and then splice on three other sets before any OCPD?
No, I am not suggesting that. If you run one set of conductors, you must hit an OCPD before splitting off to the three loads. The OCPD will trigger another outside unlimited length for the tap conductors on the load side of the OCPD.

One of my instructors over the years, like to call this the "million feet" tap rule.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
My guess would be that this is an outside installation
Pretty sure from earlier posts on this project that the primary side panel is indoors. Which means that with the transformer 5' away, it would be indoors as well.

Seems like it would make a lot more sense to set the transformer outside by the 3 new secondary disconnects.

Cheers, Wayne

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
No, I am not suggesting that. If you run one set of conductors, you must hit an OCPD before splitting off to the three loads. The OCPD will trigger another outside unlimited length for the tap conductors on the load side of the OCPD.

One of my instructors over the years, like to call this the "million feet" tap rule.
Yes from the secondary we are going to a fused disconnect within 10’

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The 25' rule part.

Your three loads are single phase 208/120 so they should be connected 1) A-B, 2) B-C, and 3) A-C.
My confusion was I didn’t think it was possible or “electrically” correct to splice/tap a 3 phase conductor cable to (3) cables each with 2 phases.

Status
Not open for further replies.