Fixture chain as EGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

eds

I have a chadelier that has no egc wire, it does have a fixure bracket bar with the standard green ground screw. I do meet the requirements of 250.118 with nmb installed to the metal fixture box. Here is the key question, can I rely on the fixture chain itself as the egc for the rest of the fixture? My first thought is no, but that was told to me long ago, maybe a old wives tale?

eds

Does 250.18 apply to the fixture itself, or just the portion of the wiring to the fixture. What determines the size of the egc on the actual fixture?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I wouldn't think the chain qualifies as an EGC in any case. Nor do I think it's the installer's responsibility to add one to the fixture.

Methinks the bigger question is whether this fixture should be installed.

norcal

I wouldn't think the chain qualifies as an EGC in any case. Nor do I think it's the installer's responsibility to add one to the fixture.

Methinks the bigger question is whether this fixture should be installed.

Have to agree that not installing the fixture is a good idea.

Relying on a chain for a EGC, is like relying on a gas flex connector for a EGC, no good will come out of it, & did come across the flex being the EGC, & the EGC, was being used for a neutral too, was glad to fix that one.

eds

I get that it is not my job to install it, what I can’t comprehend is why it may have been cut in the first place. Hopefully I will get a picture uploaded that shows what is either the egc or safety cable that has been cut

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You can buy bare copper 16 awg and thread thru chain
But luminaires have been required to be listed for many years. A listed fixture would have the required egc

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have a chadelier that has no egc wire, it does have a fixure bracket bar with the standard green ground screw.

Let's back up here. How old is this fixture and what is it? Usually, a chain supported fixture will have a bare stranded #18 woven in the chain along with the supply conductors which is usually clear zip cord. That's if there is something down on the fixture itself that is conductive and requires grounding. So, I can see a wooden fixture like a wagon wheel with only lamp holders having nothing to ground.

-Hal

eds

Whlie I generally agree with that, the way it is frayed out reminds me of what a safety cable looks like when it cut with dykes. Copper ego generally cuts cleaner. In a case like this what determines the size of the egc?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO you can either buy the proper #16 or #18 copper wire for the fixture EGC and do the job correctly or don't hang the fixture.

eds

IMO you can either buy the proper #16 or #18 copper wire for the fixture EGC and do the job correctly or don't hang the fixture.
Totally agree, but what determines if it is #16 or #18. Fixture wire threaded thru the chain?

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
I'll bet you a coke that that chain is not the original chain that came with the fixture.

I bet someone wanted a longer chain and simply replaced it and didn't bother running a new egc.

How heavy is the fixture?

eds

I'll bet you a coke that that chain is not the original chain that came with the fixture.

I bet someone wanted a longer chain and simply replaced it and didn't bother running a new egc.

How heavy is the fixture?
guessing around 50 to 60lbs, how can you tell it’s not the original chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.