Split bolts or Polaris lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmfly

Occupation
Electrician
What do you guys prefer to use on aluminum wire?split bolts or Polaris lugs? Sometimes I feel the aluminum flattens out too much with the Polaris lugs.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
For circuit conductors? You'd use insulating tape on the split bolt? (Technically it's still code compliant, but...) Why would you do that in this day and age? If nothing else it's a lot more work, and more responsibility on you if you don't do a good wrap.

It's normal for all wires to flatten out in lugs when properly torqued. If you're landing aluminum on subpanel main lugs and the wires aren't flattening out somewhat, then you're not doing it right.

IOW, Polaris. Or actually I mostly use Burndy these days, so any 'insulated multi-tap connector'. :cool:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would only use a spot bolt for grounding. IMO for anything else they're junk and there are better choices.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
I came up in the trade using Kearneys. It's a great way to hook up large motors. Wrap with 33, then varnish cambric tape, Scotchfil, and finish off with 33. I don't know how tough the Polaris tap is when the connection rubs against the peckerhead of the motor. They may be fine. I just haven't wired any big motors in several years.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Polaris are great for most splices except in motors. A great deal of my work is in mechanical rooms. I replace at least 4 to 5 motors a year due to loose connections at motors due to Polaris. I never see the same issues with split bolts and tape on peckerheads. I think it has to do with vibration and/or heating and cooling with different metals(Polaris is AL while almost all wire going to a motor is CU). I know two other local ECs that stopped using Polaris in motors for the same reason.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Polaris are great for most splices except in motors. A great deal of my work is in mechanical rooms. I replace at least 4 to 5 motors a year due to loose connections at motors due to Polaris. I never see the same issues with split bolts and tape on peckerheads. I think it has to do with vibration and/or heating and cooling with different metals(Polaris is AL while almost all wire going to a motor is CU). I know two other local ECs that stopped using Polaris in motors for the same reason.
On this note, some of those Polaris style of connectors are not for fine stranded wires by themselves. They require an insert and properly torqued.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't know how split bolts are even code compliant in a motor. Do you have special one manufactured for more than two conductors?

The problem with Polaris style connectors is that as mentioned for motors they are required to be listed for fine stranded conductors and no one uses the the correct ones. Secondly they're almost never torqued properly when installed. I find the problems with Polaris style connectors to be more from installer error than the connector itself.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
When I worked as an industrial electrician to put myself through college, the SOP was to connect motors with crimped lugs that were bolted together. Then tape, etc.
I’ve seen that done before, and the same thing applies to crimps, they need to be rated for the fine stranded wire. Found that out doing the DC bussing on cell towers, the fine strands would not fit easily in the standard crimp.

What do you guys prefer to use on aluminum wire?split bolts or Polaris lugs? Sometimes I feel the aluminum flattens out too much with the Polaris lugs.
I don't think you can make a generalized statement like this, it depends on the application.

Unlike many electricians these days who thinks split bolts are passe, I still use them, they have their place. For example when space is tight, Polaris connectors just take up too much space sometimes. For example tapping on to the main feed in a load center.

For general splicing, I typically use the mechanical inline butt splices with rubber tape, as they are very cost-effective.

I also use H taps such as the Blackburn WR series. They are incredibly cost effective at only like $3.50 each .

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I don't think you can make a generalized statement like this, it depends on the application.

Unlike many electricians these days who thinks split bolts are passe, I still use them, they have their place. For example when space is tight, Polaris connectors just take up too much space sometimes. For example tapping on to the main feed in a load center.

For general splicing, I typically use the mechanical inline butt splices with rubber tape, as they are very cost-effective.

I also use H taps such as the Blackburn WR series. They are incredibly cost effective at only like $3.50 each .
The H taps have a wide range of conductor sizes. (y)
Never used them on fine stranded.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have never used a split bolt for anything other than temporary.

The only thing I use in motors is compression rings and screws or bolts, and nuts. Insulated with a RayChem GelCap, or if those are not available, 130C sticky side out followed by 33+.

Status
Not open for further replies.