400V 50HZ operate on 480V 60 HZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

td1313

Occupation
Engineering Technologist
I have an HVAC condensing unit with a bad 480VAC 3PH 60 HZ motor and the only suitable replacement I can find quickly (less than a 52 week lead time) is a 400VAC 3PH 50 HZ motor. My understanding is that it will work but isn't recommended. Any thoughts or opinions or examples ?

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have an HVAC condensing unit with a bad 480VAC 3PH 60 HZ motor and the only suitable replacement I can find quickly (less than a 52 week lead time) is a 400VAC 3PH 50 HZ motor. My understanding is that it will work but isn't recommended. Any thoughts or opinions or examples ?
Make sure that motor current does not exceed its rating.

synchro

Occupation
EE

The Volts/Hz are the same, and so it would be like running it with a VFD in V/Hz mode at 50Hz (but minus the switching noise, etc.).
I believe the torque and current characteristics should be about the same, but with 83% of the HP because of the slower RPM.
I think it's more of a mechanical consideration than an electrical one. The cooling effectiveness of the fan would be reduced, as well as the BTU/hr, for example.

Sahib

The Volts/Hz are the same, and so it would be like running it with a VFD in V/Hz mode at 50Hz (but minus the switching noise, etc.).
I believe the torque and current characteristics should be about the same, but with 83% of the HP because of the slower RPM.
I think it's more of a mechanical consideration than an electrical one. The cooling effectiveness of the fan would be reduced, as well as the BTU/hr, for example.
I am afraid it is misleading.

retirede

It’s going to run faster on 60HZ, not slower.

Sahib

Then you need to explain why. Please stop making these single sentence answers that say nothing more than "No", they don't help anyone.
Sorry. I react intuitively and wait for much more knowledgeable people here to carry on.

synchro

Occupation
EE
It’s going to run faster on 60HZ, not slower.

Of course. Sorry about that, I hadn't had any coffee today yet. ;)

What I should have said is:
The Volts/Hz are the same, and so it would be like running a 50Hz motor with a VFD in V/Hz mode at 60Hz (but minus the switching noise, etc.).
I believe the torque and current characteristics should be about the same at 60Hz 480V as at 50Hz 400V,

Last edited:

synchro

Occupation
EE
The current rating of a 400VAC 3PH 50 HZ motor should be higher than a 480VAC 3PH 60 HZ motor. And it should run at very close to the same speed as the old motor when it's fed with 60Hz (assuming the same number of poles). Therefore I don't see any obvious problem.
Have you checked whether the 400VAC 3PH 50 HZ motor might also be rated for 60Hz operation?

Sahib

The voltage and frequency ratings are nominal. They could vary in the field. So unlike in VFD, constant v/hz cannot be assured and hence the NEMA standard for permissible voltage and frequency limits for a general purpose induction motor is applicable in OP's case.

The voltage and frequency ratings are nominal. They could vary in the field
In most countries the frequency will never vary by more than a few hundredths* of a Hertz, and in many places the voltage won't vary more than +- maybe 5%; it's quite rational to use the nominal voltage & freq as given. Since the OP is in the USA, we can assume that the freq is 60.0 Hz and move on.

480 / 60 = 400 / 50 = 8
The V/Hz ratio is the same.

*yes, it could be more, but the grid has to be wildly out of whack to see a whole Hertz variation. This is discussed in another thread somewhere in the forums.

Sahib

Ha ha, If I were the OP, I would use the motor anyway keeping the OL relay at the full load rating of the motor.

Sahib

As a veteran Electrical professional, your point was already noted by us all. But to achieve clarity discussion continued. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.