Went looking at new houses the other day....

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
(Said in Wayne's voice from Letterkenny, if you're familiar....)

Wife and I plan on building a new house in a couple years, so thought we'd get a few ideas and dropped into a few Parade of Homes units that had floor plans we liked.
Keep in mind, these are $700K to $850K houses in tract developments...

I was surprised to see the second house we walked into had a Generac ATS hanging on the outside. No generator yet. Wonder how the neighbors in a housing development are going to like the roar of standby generator running at night when they have to have their windows open because they have no AC?

So I head into each house, looking forward to seeing the mechanical rooms.

What a disappointment. These houses have generous sized mechanical rooms, but poorly laid out inside.

One area had the furnace and panel.
One area had two hot water heaters (two hot water heaters seems to be the norm now?).
One area had the sump pit.
One area had a heat recovery unit.

So you had this generous size room, totally wasted by having a different appliance scattered around haphazzardly so you couldn't use the space for anything else. And then each appliance had their drain tube snaked across the floor to the floor drain in the center. Well, that's what it was supposed to be anyways. With all the people walking through, the cheap clips holding the tubes over the floor drain had been destroyed so the tubes were now scattered about.

Each house had a generous half dozen or so un terminated CAT-5E (not even 6) hanging down behind the furnace. No panel either.

They used main lug only 200amp Homeline panels. Main lug only. Thanks 2020 NEC. So they skimped out on a $100 breaker so now you have to go outside in -20 weather through 3 feet of snow to turn off your power if you need to. I wonder how long it will be now before the NEC mandates an internal disconnecting means as well?

No Smurf tubing behind TV areas so you could run cables or update cabling in the future.

Absolutely no pre-wiring for AV or future smart home features.

Suppose I'm being nit picky, but seemed like some stupid corners were cut.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
(Said in Wayne's voice from Letterkenny, if you're familiar....)

Wife and I plan on building a new house in a couple years, so thought we'd get a few ideas and dropped into a few Parade of Homes units that had floor plans we liked.
Keep in mind, these are $700K to $850K houses in tract developments...

I was surprised to see the second house we walked into had a Generac ATS hanging on the outside. No generator yet. Wonder how the neighbors in a housing development are going to like the roar of standby generator running at night when they have to have their windows open because they have no AC?

So I head into each house, looking forward to seeing the mechanical rooms.

What a disappointment. These houses have generous sized mechanical rooms, but poorly laid out inside.

One area had the furnace and panel.
One area had two hot water heaters (two hot water heaters seems to be the norm now?).
One area had the sump pit.
One area had a heat recovery unit.

So you had this generous size room, totally wasted by having a different appliance scattered around haphazzardly so you couldn't use the space for anything else. And then each appliance had their drain tube snaked across the floor to the floor drain in the center. Well, that's what it was supposed to be anyways. With all the people walking through, the cheap clips holding the tubes over the floor drain had been destroyed so the tubes were now scattered about.

Each house had a generous half dozen or so un terminated CAT-5E (not even 6) hanging down behind the furnace. No panel either.

They used main lug only 200amp Homeline panels. Main lug only. Thanks 2020 NEC. So they skimped out on a $100 breaker so now you have to go outside in -20 weather through 3 feet of snow to turn off your power if you need to. I wonder how long it will be now before the NEC mandates an internal disconnecting means as well?

No Smurf tubing behind TV areas so you could run cables or update cabling in the future.

Absolutely no pre-wiring for AV or future smart home features.

Suppose I'm being nit picky, but seemed like some stupid corners were cut.
Keep this check list when you talk to your architect, let him/her know about these issues.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would say either, "I'm doing all of the wiring." or "I'm doing the low-voltage wiring."

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I don’t know why so many people are hung up on not wanting the main outside! Makes it easy for firefighters to not put their lives on the line pulling a meter that might have an arc flash at that moment, or in jurisdictions that do not allow it, waiting for the poco to pull it. Why have a main inside and out? The likelihood of having to turn it off in three feet of snow is minimal, and turning off the main inside to replace a breaker or modify or add wiring is not as safe as turning it off outside. Makes it a whole lot easier to add a transfer switch while not committing a legal offense of pulling the meter. (That IS tampering with a utilities equipment)

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I don’t know why so many people are hung up on not wanting the main outside! Makes it easy for firefighters to not put their lives on the line pulling a meter that might have an arc flash at that moment, or in jurisdictions that do not allow it, waiting for the poco to pull it. Why have a main inside and out? The likelihood of having to turn it off in three feet of snow is minimal, and turning off the main inside to replace a breaker or modify or add wiring is not as safe as turning it off outside. Makes it a whole lot easier to add a transfer switch while not committing a legal offense of pulling the meter. (That IS tampering with a utilities equipment)
Dang right, hillbilly, My main panel is outside. I've lived in my house for 34 years and never had to deal with an electrical problem.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
2 (hot?
emoji23.png
) water heaters is the norm if you have a huge soaker or Jaccuzzi tub.

Most AV and data is wireless these days. I’m surprised you saw Cat-5 at all in a tract home.
Wired Internet is still faster than WiFi....

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
"Hot" water heaters:

I visited the Parade of homes once. Emphasis on "once".

It hadn't rained for a while but all the basements had water in them.

They crowed about their "energy-saving designs", but specified & installed HVAC equipment with enough capacity for two or three well-insulated houses. A few of the houses had fiberglass batts stapled in place, but only insulating the top half of the basement walls, and just hanging there -- not fastened at the bottom or to each other. They must have been purely cosmetic as the cold air adjacent to the masonry was free to circulate into the room.

The thing that was most impressive was the decorating. High-end furniture, carpet and artwork. (not included in the contract price, I'm sure) Each room rigorously color coordinated. I'm sure the decorating budget exceeded the construction budget. All the interior doors removed and stowed away. And each piece of furniture was the smallest available, to provide the illusion that the houses were bigger than they really are.

retirede

Yes, tank water heaters spend most of their time heating hot water, since in standby the heating will kick in at (set temp - differential). : - )

Cheers, Wayne

My definition is that when it hits the lower set point, it’s no longer hot. If it was, it wouldn’t need to kick on.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
2 (hot? ) water heaters is the norm if you have a huge soaker or Jaccuzzi tub.

Most AV and data is wireless these days. I’m surprised you saw Cat-5 at all in a tract home.
Anyone in IT will tell you that if it stays put, run a wire to it.

If you live in a tract development, and you get a dozen or more APs show up on your phone, that's a lot of interference. Try having a half dozen neighbors stream 4K TV at one time.

It's especially important when AP manufacturers set their AP defaults to the widest channels possible to make their APs appear to be the fastest during review tests.

Hard wiring fixed location devices takes a lot of load off the air waves.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
My definition is that when it hits the lower set point, it’s no longer hot. If it was, it wouldn’t need to kick on.
I have a tank set to 130F, and lower set point is 124F. The showers and sinks are set to max out at 115F. Should be no difference to the user, beyond the response time of the thermostatic valves.

Calling 124F "not hot" just doesn't match common usage. It's still hot, just not as hot as the upper set point.

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Because in my area the trip point of an outside breaker will be a least 25% higher than the breaker rating for over 5 months of the year.

retirede

I have a tank set to 130F, and lower set point is 124F. The showers and sinks are set to max out at 115F. Should be no difference to the user, beyond the response time of the thermostatic valves.

Calling 124F "not hot" just doesn't match common usage. It's still hot, just not as hot as the upper set point.

Cheers, Wayne

Semantics.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Wired Internet is still faster than WiFi....
Anyone in IT will tell you that if it stays put, run a wire to it.

WiFi isn't a problem if all you are doing is getting emails and surfing the web. But now with video being streamed and to multiple devices at once it can be a problem. I see WiFi being overused by DIYrs and other people who don't know any better and think wire is a thing of the past because the guy from Best Buy or the cable company said so. Then they want to know why their video is buffering once and awhile.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.