Fixture Whips

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
90% of the fixture whips I see are "factory made" and all have been 3/8. I seldom see 1/2" unless someone is extending the wiring past the 1st fixture as a branch circuit.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
If it is a spec job look it up in the spec book. Some will call out for minimum 1/2" unless it's a factory fixture whip. Some even talk about using MC as a fixture whip and any limitations of it's use if allowed.
Some specs will limit you to six feet no matter what.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
and if you are making your own, you will have to use a conductor that has an ampacity at least equal to that of the branch circuit, unless you use fixture wire.

and if you are making your own, you will have to use a conductor that has an ampacity at least equal to that of the branch circuit, unless you use fixture wire.
Any idea what the reasoning of this is? Why is an 18 awg fixture whip safe but one made from 14-2 MC on a 20A circuit not? Imo this is one of those things they should change instead of spending time on things like the new 1/4 conductor box fill allowance and the dimmer on each end of a hallway.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Any idea what the reasoning of this is? Why is an 18 awg fixture whip safe but one made from 14-2 MC on a 20A circuit not? Imo this is one of those things they should change instead of spending time on things like the new 1/4 conductor box fill allowance and the dimmer on each end of a hallway.
I agree. Plus there is that wacky tap rule for lights that lets you run like fifty feet of 18AWG or something like that.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
No idea why...just what the code says. You have an opportunity right now to submit a PI to make a change. Remember that in general the code changes are made by code users who submit PIs.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You can use regular THHN. TFFN is for wire gauges smaller than 14AWG which you wouldn't be using anyway.
That was the point of my comment. There is no reason not to make your own fixture whips using conductors smaller than the size of the branch circuit conductors. If you have a 20 amp lighting circuit, you can't make a fixture whip using 14 AWG THHN, but you can make one using 16 AWG TFFN.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
A lot of contractors today "daisy chain" their troffer fixtures. If you do this, you can't use the factory pre-made fixture whips unless the conductors have an ampacity of 20 amps. For example, if you daisy chained 30 troffers together, the whip between fixture #1 and #2 will see the load of the other 29 fixtures. I used to do this often because if your whips are 6' or less, Art. 330.30 (D)(2) allow you to run the whips unsupported which will save you lot of work not having to install your own ceiling wires.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
That was the point of my comment. There is no reason not to make your own fixture whips using conductors smaller than the size of the branch circuit conductors. If you have a 20 amp lighting circuit, you can't make a fixture whip using 14 AWG THHN, but you can make one using 16 AWG TFFN.
I thought fixture whips were only legal because they were UL listed as a complete assembly and that you couldn't make your own out of parts.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I thought fixture whips were only legal because they were UL listed as a complete assembly and that you couldn't make your own out of parts.
Nope, only because they comply with 240.5. There is nothing that restricts the use of 240.5 to manufactured assemblies.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
That's 240.5(B)(1). 250(B)(2) applies to field-assembled situations. It does seem a little nuts to allow 100 foot long "taps" in this case.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Fascinating. This is an area of the code I have glossed over forever. I'm both intrigued and annoyed. Someone is going to have to explain to me what is functionally different about TFFN and THHN that I can run 100 feet of 16AWG on a 20A breaker and I can't even run one foot of 14AWG.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Fascinating. This is an area of the code I have glossed over forever. I'm both intrigued and annoyed. Someone is going to have to explain to me what is functionally different about TFFN and THHN that I can run 100 feet of 16AWG on a 20A breaker and I can't even run one foot of 14AWG.
Just a code rule ...no idea of how it got started or why. Been in the code for a long time. It was 240-4 in the 1975 code with the same language.

Status
Not open for further replies.