Old homes with no ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
What's the best solution to protecting outlets with no ground , I was looking into it and what I found was the solution is to put a gfci, but would a gfci work without a ground ??

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
Because the source neutral is grounded. The circuit EGC has nothing to do with GFCI operation.

1 . How's is the source neutral grounded

2. would I have to put a gfci in each ungrounded outlet or will one protect the whole circuit

3. If not could I just put in a gfci breaker ?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1 . How's is the source neutral grounded
By the utility and by the premises grounding-electrode system.

2. would I have to put a gfci in each ungrounded outlet or will one protect the whole circuit
One will protect those fed from the load terminals.

Absolutely.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
Back at the service and throughout the utility. Else why would you get a shock when you contact a hot and something connected to ground like a water pipe?

Either or.

You could.

-Hal

But in old homes with no ground there is still bounding ?

What's the best solution to protecting outlets with no ground , I was looking into it and what I found was the solution is to put a gfci, but would a gfci work without a ground ??
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it for most residential outlets as most general resi stuff doesn't have three prong plugs anyway.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I should have asked what kind of "protection" you're seeking.

An EGC assures that a L-G fault makes the OCPD behave like it would for a L-N fault.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
So it will only protect the down stream right?
Absolutely again. It has to monitor the current in the circuit conductors.

In that sense, it's a "series" device (like a switch or fuse), not a "parallel" device (like a surge protector).
Not only downstream, but at the GFCI receptacle as well!

synchro

Occupation
EE

If there are any multi-wire branch circuits they will require GFCI breakers to be 2-pole with a load neutral output terminal.
After a MWBC splits into 2-wire branches you could use a GFCI receptacle and feed any more receptacles from its load side terminals.

Last edited:

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Since your house is this old I don't think GFCI breakers is an option. If you can I would defiantly use these instead a receptacle GFCI. never know what was done in an old house and if your ever crawling under a house making sure the lines are GFCI is added protection.
Also tracing a GFCI is much better in a panel then behind a book shelf.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
If this is a K&T installation and you use GFCI breakers, just be aware the neutrals might not be where you think they are, and there could be MWBCs that don't look like MWBCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.