New inspector making me mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Does a meter that’s locked from power company meet definition of 110.26 a (1)
Says likely to require examination, adjustments, servicing, or maintenance.
It’s a meter no main how the hell am I suppose to get in there when it’s locked by power company. If power company has no working clearance then he shot out of luck enforcing this correct.
Reason is a hot tub as close by and power company was fine with owners placement.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
What makes me mad is I had this inspected I made a post about it. I forgot about the overhead lines so owner built a covered roof. And now the new inspector not the one that originally looked at it is throwing this at me. Should of been a problem on first round.
Who’s to say I’ll call again and some one else comes and throws something else.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I don’t know any one that service live. Only thing power company does is check with cover on their meter connection. Only power company is allowed in their I am off by 3”

To me it’s power company domain. Owner owns box but we’re locked out so we don’t fit the definition for this section only power company does and if they don’t care well then inspectors should not

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Seems like maybe a grey area but i fighting it. Be different if it’s a meter main since some one is likely to service it a locked box by another jurisdiction does not constitute “likely”

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
in reality it’s has rounded corner and if you measure to that I am 1” over 3’ but that’s not we’re I going to pick the fight. Any other ideas so far it’s 1to 1 lol

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
A lot of POCOs swap meters live

Is it the side to side measurement? Those can be slid over left and right so long as you have your depth and your 30 inches width starting from the corner it doesn't need to be centered. If it's a gutter in the way put 2 angles in the gutter and get it around the corner.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
He stated depth. Width is fine.
On the power company debate.
Yes they work on it live but that’s their domain with their rules. So if power company says your good then you’re good. In my opinion

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I get what your saying but I thinks that power company rules since there the once’s servicing not the general public. Article 90 states they don’t control utilities

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
But since you've had issues with them locally is it worth blowing a chance to get a good repor with him. An inch of dirt or move a rock and you're good. Although I can't imagine how someone would be this difficult in this situation.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I have already caved to two things he said “I don’t think i can enforce but I want you to do this”. After that I getting kinda annoyed

I would rather work together but if issue that are not my fault and I got to fix cost me money and we’re unseen, so at some point i got to tell him to shove it
I may be combative on the web but I am usually a push over

Plus I going to approach is a nice manner not going to call him a bad name lol

Last edited:

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I have already caved to two things he said “I don’t think i can enforce but I want you to do this”. After that I getting kinda annoyed

I would rather work together but if issue that are not my fault and I got to fix cost me money and we’re unseen, so at some point i got to tell him to shove it
I may be combative on the web but I am usually a push over
So about 2 months ago I had a brand new inspector who'd never done residential try to come up with something to write up and he couldn't so he said not approved because of a separate part of the house has knob n tube still live. I called him on it and asked for a code reference and then he caved when I asked him to call his boss and ask about this. Sometimes you have to train the new guys nicely and diplomaticly they're often failed contractors and may be bitter because of this. On this issue I think going higher up won't make then cave though since the definition doesn't exclude metering equipment and getting a 3rd set of eyes on the job may just make it more of a headache.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Got to thinking of the meter applies so does a transformer and then found this debate.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
My POCO rules, for working clearance, are not much different than those in the NEC.
Was the deck built after you installed the meter enclosure?

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I never installed the meter I did the hot tub. it failed for overhead conductors so owner build a enclosed area now for some reason I have this issue when it was not a problem the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.