Panel with bonded neutral and jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
Panel had a bonded neutral bar on right side via a bonding screw. There were not enough spots for neutrals and grounds. A bare conductor was ran to left side of panel to an added ground bar, and there were several neutrals and grounds landed there. The #6 bare jumper from neutral to added ground bar I believe is wrong due to the bare conductor. Can the bare wire from the neutral bar to added ground bar be replaced with an insulated one to make this installation OK? My feeling is no without knowing what that ground bar is rated for or is this common?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Nothing wrong with a bare jumper. The neutral bar is bonded to the can already so what would the problem with a bare jumper?
What you can't do is rely on the can to pass the neutral current to the neutral bar. The jumper takes care of that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A listed EGC bar can be mounted directly to the enclosure without the jumper. A bare jumper is permitted but not required.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
A listed EGC bar can be mounted directly to the enclosure without the jumper. A bare jumper is permitted but not required.

Seems they are using the added ground bar as a neutral bar also.

He mentioned there was not enough spots for "neutrals and grounds", therefore, a jumper would be required.

JAP>

dm9289

Occupation
Nothing wrong with a bare jumper. The neutral bar is bonded to the can already so what would the problem with a bare jumper?
What you can't do is rely on the can to pass the neutral current to the neutral bar. The jumper takes care of that.
I had in my head the bare jumper touching cabinet would cause parallel paths but I guess as you said the bond screw is already attached to cabinet. In my mind it just seemed better to put the neutrals on one side directly connected to bonded neutral bar and move equipment gnds to the added ground bar.

dm9289

Occupation
Seems they are using the added ground bar as a neutral bar also.

He mentioned there was not enough spots for "neutrals and grounds", therefore, a jumper would be required.

JAP>
You are correct they are landing neutrals also

dm9289

Occupation
Wouldnt that created undesired current on the cabinet with no Jumper

dm9289

Occupation
Panel had a bonded neutral bar on right side via a bonding screw. There were not enough spots for neutrals and grounds. A bare conductor was ran to left side of panel to an added ground bar, and there were several neutrals and grounds landed there. The #6 bare jumper from neutral to added ground bar I believe is wrong due to the bare conductor. Can the bare wire from the neutral bar to added ground bar be replaced with an insulated one to make this installation OK? My feeling is no without knowing what that ground bar is rated for or is this common?
would that jumper be sized according to 250.102C(1) table

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are there actually listed neutral bars that get mounted to the panel? My thought was that only a listed EGC bar would be bolted directly to the panel so the neutrals cannot terminate there. You could use the new EGC bar to move some EGC's from the existing bar to make room for the neutrals.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think it's fine, assuming 6awg is adequate for the neutral load on the additional bar. If it were feasible and quick, I'd probably swap thinks around so that the new bar was only a ground bar, but only to be cleaner.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Are there actually listed neutral bars that get mounted to the panel? My thought was that only a listed EGC bar would be bolted directly to the panel so the neutrals cannot terminate there. You could use the new EGC bar to move some EGC's from the existing bar to make room for the neutrals.

That's a good point, and, the way it probably should be done, but, the way his description was leading us would require a jumper.

I don't think an Equipment ground bar would care that a neutral conductor may be attached to it any more than a Neutral bar would care that an equipment grounding conductor is attached to it.

JAP>

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
230.22 says the grounded conductor for the service neutral is allowed to be bare. I don't see any problem with a bare jumper. 200.2(A) uses the words "The grounded conductor, if insulated...", so there must be other times you can have a bare neutral.

I don't think there is a listed EGC buss bar.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
On service calls, I find it very common to find grounding wires connected to the neutral bus on sub-panels. So, I have to remember to stock up on grounding bus bars every time I am at my wholesale house. Also, I find the bonding screw on the neutral bus bar is engaged.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
On service calls, I find it very common to find grounding wires connected to the neutral bus on sub-panels. So, I have to remember to stock up on grounding bus bars every time I am at my wholesale house. Also, I find the bonding screw on the neutral bus bar is engaged.
Also see a lot of ground and neutrals tagged under the same bus screw.
Adding a ground bus only applicable if they actually ran a grounding conductor in addition to the grounded to the subpanel. Seen many subpanels set up without, then adding a separate ground bar is moot.

dm9289

Occupation
230.22 says the grounded conductor for the service neutral is allowed to be bare. I don't see any problem with a bare jumper. 200.2(A) uses the words "The grounded conductor, if insulated...", so there must be other times you can have a bare neutral.

I don't think there is a listed EGC buss bar.

I believe there are listed neutral bars that can also be used for equipment ground.

My feeling likely wrong is that the typical ground bar is not meant to carry continuous current.

dm9289

Occupation
I see your scenario very often also.

Status
Not open for further replies.