Single phase appliance on a 3 phase panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wondervamp

Occupation
Shop technician
It is my understanding that you can hook up a single phase, 208 / 230V appliance to a 3 phase panel? The appliance is a RTU/Hvac compressor/condensor for a mini-split (heating/cooling) unit.

I think it's correct if I'm going for 240V, to connect between A phase and B phase. And if I have a lot of 120/240V loads on the panel, it will help phase balance to make one of the phases the wild leg (orange) (i.e. don't just pile everything onto the low phases A and B).

The 3 phase panel is: 3 phase, 240V Delta, High leg C - MY CONFUSION comes from determining which lugs in the panel are considered A, B, and C.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
B should be the high leg. Don't use the high leg for any of your single phase loads. Slash rated single phase breakers like 120/240 are not rated for the high leg. In my place I have single phase sub panels for my single phase loads. I only use the high leg for 3 phase loads

wondervamp

Occupation
Shop technician
B should be the high leg. Don't use the high leg for any of your single phase loads. Slash rated single phase breakers like 120/240 are not rated for the high leg. In my place I have single phase sub panels for my single phase loads. I only use the high leg for 3 phase loads
The panel is marked as in my above thread as C leg being the high leg - posting a picture of the panel info below. So A & B phase will be black and red lugs and C would be high leg? I haven't opened up the dead front yet to look inside. Again, my confusion comes from determing which lugs are A B and C phase.

panel.jpg

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The panel is marked as in my above thread as C leg being the high leg - posting a picture of the panel info below. So A & B phase will be black and red lugs and C would be high leg? I haven't opened up the dead front yet to look inside. Again, my confusion comes from determing which lugs are A B and C phase.

View attachment 2566217
This is a violation of NEC 408.3(E)(1) B shall be the high leg and orange shall be the color.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I think it's correct if I'm going for 240V, to connect between A phase and B phase.
Some of your confusion might be coming from bad terminology. It's an industry-wide error, though, so I'm not chiding you for it.

A, B, and C are not phases, those are legs.

A phase is the potential between two of those legs.

So a single phase is what happens between A and B, or between B and C, or between C and A

You can use any two of those hots to get 240 volts.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
It is my understanding that you can hook up a single phase, 208 / 230V appliance to a 3 phase panel? The appliance is a RTU/Hvac compressor/condensor for a mini-split (heating/cooling) unit.

I think it's correct if I'm going for 240V, to connect between A phase and B phase. And if I have a lot of 120/240V loads on the panel, it will help phase balance to make one of the phases the wild leg (orange) (i.e. don't just pile everything onto the low phases A and B).

The 3 phase panel is: 3 phase, 240V Delta, High leg C - MY CONFUSION comes from determining which lugs in the panel are considered A, B, and C.
For your purposes (just hooking this up and making it work), it does not matter, since you just want 240V. However, if you don't want to overload the phases supplying 120V or 208V, then it does matter.

Mark

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
power companies use C for the high leg. We have to swap and C between the POCO and the service disconnect. At least here in Florida.
It is for the meter to work correctly. By code, it then moves to “B” phase so that the center buss is always the high leg when viewed from the front or back, if you have a gear with removable rear covers. A lot of installations the electrician did not know to do that, so always be cautious.

Joethemechanic

Occupation

Basically you have one of these

hlo.jpg

Never trust the colors or labeling. I don't even look at it. Cover comes off and first thing I do is check voltage. I think I see more unmarked or incorrectly marked than I see right

Z_-utzfo5oz.jpg

If you put one of these in and either side lands on the high leg, You will violate the breaker's voltage rating. Also it will damage equipment downstream that uses a neutral

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

View attachment 2566217
Nice it was labeled!

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Here is a better diagram. If you hook a single phase load up using the high leg, Your breaker and all your appliances will be seeing this

hlo incor.jpg

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Same here in Oregon, power co likes high leg on C don’t remember why but then we have to move it to B , power co is not regulated by the NEC but premise wiring is.
You will find the utilities, all across the country, use the C placement for their electromechanical meters.

wondervamp

Occupation
Shop technician
Thanks guys - I'm going to meter it out tomorrow. I'm also going to stay away from the "stinger" leg. The appliance I'm hooking up only requires two hots and a ground but I need a Square D double pole 40A breaker and it seems that a breaker without the slash 120/240 rating will be a little harder to source out.

And with regard to the power co. requiring the "high leg" being on the C phase, I'm a bit confused as to where? Are they requiring it out at the meter and/or in the service panel where I'm terminating my branch circuits? I'm pretty sure the reasoning why that picture I posted of the panel reads "high leg" on C was due to the power company dictating that like you guys mentioned. I'm curious to see what I find out in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.