Dryer outlets upside down

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronball

Occupation
Electric Contractor
Inspector made us change outlets , so Ground would be on top. Is their any code that states
this has to be this way. New construction apt bld.
Thx
Ron

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If you put the ground on top then doesn't the cord come out the bottom? Maybe easier to route to the dryer that way.

I agree though that it is not a requirement.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Inspector made us change outlets , so Ground would be on top. Is their any code that states
this has to be this way. New construction apt bld.
Thx
Ron
Inspector is an idiot and as stated, he's making up rules.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you install a receptacle very close to the floor you could put a lot of stress on the cord if the ground is up and the cord comes from below. But not an NEC call unless he sees that cord and plug.... it could be an issue that he has a right to call.

retirede

If you put the ground on top then doesn't the cord come out the bottom? Maybe easier to route to the dryer that way.

I agree though that it is not a requirement.

I just helped my niece move a dryer into her house. The receptacle was near the floor so the ground-up orientation caused a tight loop between the floor and receptacle.

I think common sense would dictate a different orientation depending the mounting height of the receptacle.

Edit - sorry, Dennis just covered this!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Just remind the inspector on the #1 rated electrical forum, we don’t allow ground up or ground down questions, because there is no correct answer, and not required in the NEC

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would install it ground up so the receptacle labelling isn't upside down. There is no requirement to do so.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Just remind the inspector on the #1 rated electrical forum, we don’t allow ground up or ground down questions, because there is no correct answer, and not required in the NEC
There actually is a "correct" answer. The correct answer is that the code does not require any particular orientation.

It is like many things that are done that some people think are code required but are just common practice.

Think about how many people believe there is some special color code required for 3 phase power conductors.

norcal

The only reason the ground/neutral prong being up is more correct is that the right angle plugs molded on the appliance cords won't hang right and makes the installer look ignorant, but not sure a inspector should be requiring it to be changed. This only applies to 30/50A devices, smaller ones can be all over the place.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I agree. And normally this thread would be locked.
However, (there's always a however in life), I have seen rational electricians become irrational inspectors.

Ron

Last edited:

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
I always install them with ground up as that's the way the cord cap is made so that the cord hangs down. With the ground down, the cord would be looped from having to turn the plug to match the receptacle.

View attachment 2566348
I do the same for that very reason even though there is no requirement and the cord is always long enough. It just looks better.

Status
Not open for further replies.