Washer and disposal hook up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmfly

Occupation
Electrician
Was wondering how you guys like to hook up your dishwasher and disposal hook ups do you hardwire or do you use a appliance whip, do you GFI if I protect? Or what do your inspectors like to see? Thks

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
At the rough in I leave 6' of Romex for the DW, makes it easier for me to install and easier for homeowners to replace in 5 years. I install a receptacle for disposal and use whip. Both on same circuit, gfi breaker

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
At the rough in I leave 6' of Romex for the DW, makes it easier for me to install and easier for homeowners to replace in 5 years. I install a receptacle for disposal and use whip. Both on same circuit, gfi breaker
Does your inspector require a dual function GFCI/AFCI breaker for this circuit?

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Most contractors around here will have a duplex receptacle under the sink on an individual 20 amp circuit. Split the receptacle and have a cord for the disposal and a cord for the dishwasher. I'm sure depending on amps, it isn't quite code compliant sometimes, but we allow it.
I see that as perfectly fine as long as neither appliance exceeds 10 amps (equipment fastened in place. 210.23 (A)(2) I still see the circuit needing both GFCI and AFCI protection.

I see that as perfectly fine as long as neither appliance exceeds 10 amps (equipment fastened in place. 210.23 (A)(2) I still see the circuit needing both GFCI and AFCI protection.
Recent job the inspector red tagged it and he was correct. IIRC it was a 3/4 hp disposal, told HO to go grab a 1/2 HP and it worked with that. So yeah just be careful putting dish and disposal on the same circuit.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
It is code required not inspector required to have afci and GFCI. If I may make a suggestion, get in the habit of doing what the code says, not what an inspector says/prefers/ wants to see.
That's what I was getting at. I was asking the OP if his inspector was complying with the NEC. Thanks.

jimC.

I always pull a circuit for the DW. Bosch and Viking (+ others) like to put booster heaters in. I set a handy box with recep at rough, so there's two recep's hot during rough. Then just put a cord on at install. Received a red tag in the early '90s for using romex to the appliance, I never did it again.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Recent job the inspector red tagged it and he was correct. IIRC it was a 3/4 hp disposal, told HO to go grab a 1/2 HP and it worked with that. So yeah just be careful putting dish and disposal on the same circuit.
Same here I think its under 430.53 that the motor has to be 6 amps or less. 10A or less for the dishwasher per 210.whatever.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
On a new build I prefer to put them each on their own these days, then if you have a GFCI/AFCI/ breaker issue its less of a puzzle.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Received a red tag in the early '90s for using romex to the appliance, I never did it again.
I wonder why. We always run NM to the dishwasher and NM in 1/2" FMC to the disposer.

I have never installed, nor even seen a cord-connected dishwasher or disposer.

Status
Not open for further replies.