Wind Farm Load usage calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
We are looking to calculate Max, Nominal and Min "Load Usage" of a Wind plant at Point of Interconnection (POI). As the load usage depends on wind speeds, operating characteristics of turbines, and reactive/capacitive banks consumption in the substation etc. Please share any ideas or tools that you worked on or came across to manually calculate the load usage without the use of simulation Software.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We are looking to calculate Max, Nominal and Min "Load Usage" of a Wind plant at Point of Interconnection (POI). As the load usage depends on wind speeds, operating characteristics of turbines, and reactive/capacitive banks consumption in the substation etc. Please share any ideas or tools that you worked on or came across to manually calculate the load usage without the use of simulation Software.
If any of those elements were reasonably constant, especially wind speed, you might have a fighting chance. There is no way you can do a manual calculation that will produce anything resembling a good answer. They make simulation software for this purpose for a reason.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
You could search this forum, but most renewable energy discussions are between solar-array experts.

NFPA-70 ARTICLE 694 "Wind Electric Systems" defines some industry jargon, such as Diversion Load / Controllers, and references other articles used with this equipment.

But no reference to Article 220 "load, calcs", no design guidance / instructions, much less beyond 150-Volts to ground, except for working space.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is that even NEC? Sounds like it would be NESC
That is one of the huge problems with large solar and wind...the connections to the utility are the service point and the wind or solar generation is on the load side of the service point putting the installation under the NEC. This would change if the solar of wind was owned by the utilty, but that is not common. Load side of service point is the NEC, line side is the NESC.
The NEC does not do a great job with these large scale installations.

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The wind turbine manufacturer should provide detailed information on power requirements for each tower. This will vary considerably for cold weather versus hot weather. The maximum power required times the number of wind turbines is the maximum demand.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Years ago I was working for Nooter - Ericsson and worked on a lot of cogen plants they built for the refineries. I think the largest was Exxon Linden four units totaling 500MW. Are facilities that big following NEC?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Years ago I was working for Nooter - Ericsson and worked on a lot of cogen plants they built for the refineries. I think the largest was Exxon Linden four units totaling 500MW. Are facilities that big following NEC?
Sort of, but with a lot of engineering supervision. Often the AHJ has to hire outside engineering for the inspections.

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Wind turbines consume a lot of power, due to low capacity factors. In central Oregon, wind farms are often the local REA's biggest customer.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The wind turbine manufacturer should provide detailed information on power requirements for each tower. This will vary considerably for cold weather versus hot weather. The maximum power required times the number of wind turbines is the maximum demand.
It is suddenly unclear to me if we are talking about the wind farm as the load side, or the grid as the load side.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Wind turbines consume a lot of power, due to low capacity factors. In central Oregon, wind farms are often the local REA's biggest customer.
I'm confused; how is it that wind generators consume power? Are you saying that they are net consumers of energy?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I'm confused; how is it that wind generators consume power? Are you saying that they are net consumers of energy?
Yeah in some places they are consumers I believe they have to be kept rotating to avoid warping the blades

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
We are looking for the power consumption of a GE1.5MW wind turbine to sustain its operation, under different wind conditions. We have GE1.5sle Wind turbines at our facility.

Looking for the the Maximum, Nominal, Minimum power consumption of this turbine model and eventually calculate internal "Load usage" of the plant. As the power consumption of the turbine varies based on its reactive power capability and other internal equipment, based on high and low wind conditions, would like to have this info to size the power quality meters at POI. Many functions that use the power in a wind turbine including, yaw mechanism, blade pitch control, heaters, controllers etc.

We are looking for the power consumption of a GE1.5MW wind turbine to sustain its operation, under different wind conditions. We have GE1.5sle Wind turbines at our facility.

Looking for the the Maximum, Nominal, Minimum power consumption of this turbine model and eventually calculate internal "Load usage" of the plant. As the power consumption of the turbine varies based on its reactive power capability and other internal equipment, based on high and low wind conditions, would like to have this info to size the power quality meters at POI. Many functions that use the power in a wind turbine including, yaw mechanism, blade pitch control, heaters, controllers etc.
Seems like that is a question for the manufacturer. I doubt any of us on this forum have one of those in our backyard 😉

ggunn

Occupation
... I believe they have to be kept rotating to avoid warping the blades
Can you cite a source for that information? Even if what you say is true (and I do not know either way), it is difficult for me to accept that a wind turbine can be a net consumer of energy if it is correctly installed in a productive wind zone.

Can you cite a source for that information? Even if what you say is true (and I do not know either way), it is difficult for me to accept that a wind turbine can be a net consumer of energy if it is correctly installed in a productive wind zone.

It's on the internet, it must be true! 🤣

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I can't remember where I read about the warping, but I did find this

Lastly, wind turbines will sometimes draw power from the grid to keep moving, especially during the cold winter months when the blades and gears might otherwise freeze.

ggunn

Occupation

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I did not say that they are net consumers of energy. Wind turbines consume considerable energy when they are not operating, which is a lot of the time. There are auxiliary loads (oil pumps, heater, hydraulics, control systems, etc) that require power. Also, the wind farm must BUY power from whatever utility service territory they are in. They SELL power to someone else, generally. So any period of time when the wind turbine is consuming power, it must be purchased from the local REA, regardless of the overall net output of the wind farm over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.