Equipment Grounding Conductor History

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonyklesta

Occupation
Commercial electrician
Does anyone know when it became more common to pull an EGC, instead of using a metallic conduit as the main EGC? (For feeders and branch circuits) I have been doing research on this topic, but cannot seem to find when this practice changed.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I'd say people starting thinking about wire type equipment grounds in the late 1950's that's when the bonding strip was added to AC cable, MC was coming out with a wire type EGC and grounded romex came out.
By the end of the 60's there was a new batch of electricians who were used to seeing wire type EGC's and grounded receptacles so my guess is around then.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I started offically in 1987 and back then we never pulled an EGC in a metal raceway. In my experience we didn't start pulling them until the mid to late 90s when IGs were becoming popular.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
60 ish in cable, I see a black wire in a 60 install was connected daisy chain to kitchen and laundry outlets.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There are still a huge number of circuits being installed using the raceway as the equipment grounding conductor as permitted by the code.
In the past few years we've seen more and more projects where there are no wire type EGC's being used. MC-ap or EMT without an EGC is a great way to save money and developers are catching on to the fact that they've been wasting money on wire type EGC's for decades.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Google this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230812-203207.png
    Screenshot_20230812-203207.png
    415.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230812-203139~2.png
    Screenshot_20230812-203139~2.png
    215.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230812-204659.png
    Screenshot_20230812-204659.png
    208.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230812-204300.png
    Screenshot_20230812-204300.png
    355.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20230812-203754.png
    Screenshot_20230812-203754.png
    540.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20230812-203708.png
    Screenshot_20230812-203708.png
    673.9 KB · Views: 20

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Testing done by GE in the 60s showed pretty clearly that steel conduit is not a good return path when compared to an EGC inside the conduit. This gets worse over time due to corrosion. This testing was prompted by the increasing use of solidly-grounded 480 V systems. For 480 V we ran a separate EGC starting in the early 70s, but continued to use conduit for grounding for lighting and receptacle circuits until the early 1980s. At that point we started running an EGC for all circuits. Obviously the steel conduit manufacturers pushed back hard on any suggestion that the conduit wasn't a good ground, but no one has really refuted the test result, as far as I am aware.

retirede

Testing done by GE in the 60s showed pretty clearly that steel conduit is not a good return path when compared to an EGC inside the conduit. This gets worse over time due to corrosion. This testing was prompted by the increasing use of solidly-grounded 480 V systems. For 480 V we ran a separate EGC starting in the early 70s, but continued to use conduit for grounding for lighting and receptacle circuits until the early 1980s. At that point we started running an EGC for all circuits. Obviously the steel conduit manufacturers pushed back hard on any suggestion that the conduit wasn't a good ground, but no one has really refuted the test result, as far as I am aware.

Do you have a link to that test? It’s contrary to what I’ve been taught and believed forever.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Do you have a link to that test? It’s contrary to what I’ve been taught and believed forever.
The NEC equipment grounding tables for a long time (last seen in the 1965 NEC) had pipe and EMT right in the table that we now call 250.122, and it looks like 1/2 IN EMT was good for 100 Amps:

Attachments

• 1951_nec_T2595.jpg
    1951_nec_T2595.jpg
    925.5 KB · Views: 16

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Testing done at Georgia Tech for the Steel Tube Institute shows otherwise.

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer

The second one is more specifically on-topic, but not accessible without IEEE Library access.

Status
Not open for further replies.