GFCI for 220v garage receptacle.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
If I install a nema 14/50 220 volt receptacle in a garage specifically to charge a Tesla does the receptacle need a GFCI 2-pole breaker?

Last edited:

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
This would be installed in the next couple weeks so it would be under the 2020 NEC. I did reach out to another electrician in Minnesota and he said he's put 5 in recently and the inspector did not require GFCI protection, I just wanted to double check.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The following was new for the 2020 code. If the 2020 is the adopted code, then any receptacle used supply an electric vehicle charger is required to have GFCI protection.
625.60 AC Receptacle Outlets Used for EVPE.
AC receptacles installed in electric vehicles and intended to allow for connection of off-board utilization equipment shall comply with 625.60(A) through (D).
(A) Type.
The receptacle outlet shall be listed.
(B) Rating.
The receptacle outlet shall be rated 250 volts maximum, single phase 50 amperes maximum.
(C) Overcurrent Protection.
Electric vehicles provided with receptacle outlets for power export shall be provided with overcurrent protection integral to the power export system. The overcurrent protection shall have a nominal rating sufficient for the receptacle it protects. The overcurrent protection shall also be sufficiently rated for the maximum available fault current at the receptacle and shall be included in the interactive equipment evaluation. See 625.48.
(D) GFCI Protection for Personnel.
Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel shall be provided for all receptacles. The ground-fault circuit-interrupter indication and reset shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This would be installed in the next couple weeks so it would be under the 2020 NEC. I did reach out to another electrician in Minnesota and he said he's put 5 in recently and the inspector did not require GFCI protection, I just wanted to double check.
When you get a minute please add you location data to your profile.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
Check your local code also. There's often an exemption from the NEC for this.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
The location of the installation is in Arizona. I’m thinking if I get the wall charging unit it’s direct wired with no receptacle. This is probably a better option anyway and the cost is not that much greater when you figure in the price of a GFCI breaker. I see nothing in 625.60 that would require any Direct Wired equipment to be GFCI protected.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
The location of the installation is in Arizona. I’m thinking if I get the wall charging unit it’s direct wired with no receptacle. This is probably a better option anyway and the cost is not that much greater when you figure in the price of a GFCI breaker. I see nothing in 625.60 that would require any Direct Wired equipment to be GFCI protected.
some charger mfg actually recommend against gfci as it sometimes will conflict with the charger and create nuisance tripping. Direct wire eliminates this issue, and the charger is required to be gf protected on IT'S outlet anyway.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks, I’m adding up the delta in material costs.

option 1. $20 for a nema 14/50 receptacle- box-industrial cover + 175 for a Eatan GFCI breaker total $195

option 2. $475 for. Tesla wall charger and $20 for a 2-pole breaker. Total $495

With the cost of the GFCI breaker might as well spend the extra $300 and get the nice charger.

retirede

Thanks, I’m adding up the delta in material costs.

option 1. $20 for a nema 14/50 receptacle- box-industrial cover + 175 for a Eatan GFCI breaker total $195

option 2. $475 for. Tesla wall charger and $20 for a 2-pole breaker. Total $495

With the cost of the GFCI breaker might as well spend the extra $300 and get the nice charger.

If you install a $20 14-50R, chances are you’ll be back within a year to replace it after it melts.

d1095e118681158d12b2f5737ae04889.jpg

A Hubbel or Bryant quality receptacle is close to $100.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
Just curious, watched a couple charger install videos and am wondering why people are using Romex 6/3 when the chargers only need 2 hots and a ground, I was planning to use 6 gauge 6/2 with a #12 ground On a 60 amp breaker . One guy terminated the white wire in the panel and put a wire nut on the wire in the charger unit, not a lot of spare room to start with. Why are people using 6/3 with the extra unused neutral? I’ve never hooked one up, am I missing something, maybe for future use for a different charger that needs 120/240?

ruxton.stanislaw

Occupation
Laboratory Engineer
Just curious, watched a couple charger install videos and am wondering why people are using Romex 6/3 when the chargers only need 2 hots and a ground, I was planning to use 6 gauge 6/2 with a #12 ground On a 60 amp breaker . One guy terminated the white wire in the panel and put a wire nut on the wire in the charger unit, not a lot of spare room to start with. Why are people using 6/3 with the extra unused neutral? I’ve never hooked one up, am I missing something, maybe for future use for a different charger that needs 120/240?
Exactly; some charging stations, although not as many, do need a neutral. I recall that it can be for something as small as a contactor needing 120v. It also makes that circuit more useful to be repurposed down the road.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If they use NM cable 6-3, then that is too small for a 60A breaker. The cable is only rated for 55A under the 60 deg column.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
If they use NM cable 6-3, then that is too small for a 60A breaker. The cable is only rated for 55A under the 60 deg column.If they use NM cable 6-3, then that is too small for a 60A breaker. The cable is only rated for 55A under the 60 deg column.
Dang, you are correct sir. I think I’m going back to plan A for now, 120v 20amp GFCI Receptacle and an occasional stop at the nearby super charging station….done

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
55A is not a standard size breaker (yet) see 240.6. On a 6/2 your maximum charger load would be 44Amps so when you add the continuous factor your at 55A. I think that boils down to a 40A charging current setting.

Moore Power

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've been spying on the forum for well over a decade, but I just signed up a few minutes ago. The Tesla 60a chargers have a Maximum of 48 amps output. 48x1.25=60a but the load is 48 amps, so I think the next size up rule would apply. Also, I've ran a Neutral in the past for plug in chargers because it just seemed weird to install a receptacle and leave a terminal empty.

retirede

I've been spying on the forum for well over a decade, but I just signed up a few minutes ago. The Tesla 60a chargers have a Maximum of 48 amps output. 48x1.25=60a but the load is 48 amps, so I think the next size up rule would apply. Also, I've ran a Neutral in the past for plug in chargers because it just seemed weird to install a receptacle and leave a terminal empty.

That would be a violation of 219.A(1)(a):

960aa27c52255bd0de028a553ec1c1a8.jpg

The conductor ampacity needs to be the full 60A.