BONDING GONE WILD - Take a look at this

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
This is a replay of a previous posting. How much bonding do you need ? Take a look at this attachment.

Attachments

• Electrical Wiring - Bonding.jpg
    Electrical Wiring - Bonding.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 193

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What is the source of that graphic?
It's outdated wherever it comes from. It's also saying the conductor to the rod can be from either the panel or the meter, not both.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Other that the weirdness of showing the ground rod connected to both the meter and the service panel, that's all very normal, nothing wild. Around here we usually we have to install two rods, not just one, but don't have a meter to bond around. YMMV. But it's about right.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
That graphic is very misleading as it shows a connection to the gas line for the water heater which is typically not required, And it’s hard to read in all caps
Mike Holts graphics are much better

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
That graphic is very misleading as it shows a connection to the gas line for the water heater which is typically not required, And it’s hard to read in all caps

The article went on to say that Electrical Inspectors have a wide range of interpretation authority, in enforcement of the electrical code. This graphic was one of the many.

This is another interpretation.

Attachments

• Electrical Wiring Residential - Service.jpg
    Electrical Wiring Residential - Service.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Electrical Wiring Residential - Main Service Underground.jpg
    Electrical Wiring Residential - Main Service Underground.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 52

jaggedben

Occupation

Gas piping is required to be bonded and doing it at the water heater is a very typical way for it to be done around here. AHJs look for it.

ModbusMan

Occupation
Building Automation Engineer
Gas piping is required to be bonded and doing it at the water heater is a very typical way for it to be done around here. AHJs look for it.
Same here, and having hot-cold-gas all within about 6-8 inches of each other with no obstructions (apart from maybe a tube going to the whole-house humidifier) makes it not just "typical," but very easy to get done and out of the way.

brycenesbitt

Same here. And it's even part of the annual rental housing inspection (the gas bonding)
One downside is the jumper from hot to cold to gas messes with the pipe insulation: especially if the bond is right at the top of the heater.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does one prohibit the practice?
Nothing that I know of but I did at one time have an inspector ask for a bonding jumper to be removed on a service upgrade. He didn't like the black gas pipe on the HWH being externally bonded for some reason. I wrote a PI a few code cycles ago to clarify that it wasn't required but it got rejected.

jaggedben

Occupation
Guys it's 250.104(B).

My last response was facetious because I've seen the argument that the appliance(s) can make the bond. But that assumes your gas appliances have electrical connections. I've worked in home in the last 5 years that only had pilot-light appliances.

jaggedben

Occupation
That's fine for burners, but what about oven control? Or do those use a piezo generator like water heaters?
Thermocouple I presume? All I know is our last apartment had an old gas range with oven that didn't plug into the wall.

But you're missing the larger point. Who says the oven isn't electric while the remaining gas appliances are a piezo generator water heater and an old gravity furnace? You can't assume appliances bond the gas if you haven't looked at them.