Too many outlets

Electriman

Greetings,

I have a project as a single family home 3300 sq ft, 4 bedroom two story. The owner has about 160 outlets. The outlet loads are not considered in service sizing as we have 3 VA/Sq Ft for both lighting and receptacle per NEC 220. We have a 400 A service panel and except the receptacle number, everything else looks normal.
But the city inspector is not happy with the number of receptacle and he does not want to approve the work.

Is there any where in the code to limit the owner for the number of receptacle that a person can put in a house?

Thank you in advance.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there any where in the code to limit the owner for the number of receptacle that a person can put in a house?
Not really. As long as required receptacles are installed as code specifies, it's a design issue.

The inspector needs more than "that's not how I would have done it" to fail it.

Ask for the specific code he thinks is being violated.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Agree ask for the specific code section. In a dwelling unit the biggest receptacle loads are in the kitchen, as you are likely aware. Other locations are minimal.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
No matter how many outlets you have, it always seems like you need more and end up with a bunch of power strips. While I am not a huge fan of power strips, I don't believe they are fires waiting to happen as a lot of electricians like to claim.

I think it is better to put more outlets in place when you can do so relatively cheaper rather than have to do it later or live with power strips.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In general, additional receptacle outlets in a dwelling do not add to the load...the just make it more convenient for the occupants. The 3 VA per square foot is more than enough to cover the general use lighting and receptacle loads. The receptacles in heavy load areas such as the kitchen and laundry area have additional VA included in the load calculation.
Stand your ground and take it to a higher authority if the inspector cannot not give you an actual code rule that you are in violation of.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is no code stating "Thou SHALT NOT install too many receptacle outlets!
Nor any definition of what too many would be. There are very few places they can't be.

Ask him which ones should be eliminated and why. Make a list of each one for your appeal.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Don stated the number of receptacles has nothing to do with the amount of load in a dwelling. Does this inspector think that just because there are 15 receptacles in a bedroom someone will plug in more load? Saying that he doesn't like too many receptacles defies simple logic.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
He’s probably referring to 220.14(I) where there is a receptacle count limit. But this is not included in 220.14(J) for dwellings as Don stated. Pretty easy to miss if your just going through the Handbook looking at the graphics.

nizak

Greetings,

I have a project as a single family home 3300 sq ft, 4 bedroom two story. The owner has about 160 outlets. The outlet loads are not considered in service sizing as we have 3 VA/Sq Ft for both lighting and receptacle per NEC 220. We have a 400 A service panel and except the receptacle number, everything else looks normal.
But the city inspector is not happy with the number of receptacle and he does not want to approve the work.

Thank you in advance.
Just curious. What is the approximate spacing of the outlets? 3’-4’ apart?

Is it a consistent spacing or just random placement?

retirede

There was an old country song with the lines:
“There’s no such thing as a car too fast or a girl too pretty…”
Maybe someone should “too many outlets!”

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I believe that some local amendments might restrict the number of receptacles per circuit in residential situations

But IMHO in a residential situation you could cover the entire wall with receptacles and not be required to increase the number of receptacle circuits nor the size of the service.

nizak

I believe that some local amendments might restrict the number of receptacles per circuit in residential situations

But IMHO in a residential situation you could cover the entire wall with receptacles and not be required to increase the number of receptacle circuits nor the size of the service.
There’s having some additional outlets then there’s just plain foolishness in locating them a few feet apart around the entire room.

Many times I’ve suggested just having a double duplex here and there instead of spreading them all over.

My opinion also is that too many make the job look like it was done by someone with no knowledge of the code.

For the most part when I space wall outlets they usually end up about 9’ apart.

Gives an uncluttered look and is usually always very functional.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
There was an old country song with the lines:
“There’s no such thing as a car too fast or a girl too pretty…”
Maybe someone should “too many outlets!”
It looses some of it meaning when you add recptical in front of outlet.
Could he be thinking 180 VA's per receptacle?
But it does not apply in dwellings.
Tulsa has an amendment which is why out dated. They still use the word outlets. I just laugh and say sure.
For both commerical and residential.