Dedicated Neutrals

HEYDOG

It actually should be “ provide each circuit with a Dedicated Grounded Conductor” It will not be a neutral…it will be caring the same amount of current as the ungrounded conductor!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It actually should be “ provide each circuit with a Dedicated Grounded Conductor” It will not be a neutral…it will be caring the same amount of current as the ungrounded conductor!
It's still a neutral by the Article 100 definition.

Neutral Conductor.
The conductor connected to the neutral point of a system that is intended to carry current under normal conditions

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Then give me an example of a Grounded Conductor!
Since it is not connected to the neutral point how about a corner grounded 3 wire Delta?

Neutral Point.
The common point on a wye-connection in a polyphase system or midpoint on a single-phase, 3-wire system, or midpoint of a single-phase portion of a 3-phase delta system, or a midpoint of a 3-wire, direct-
current system. (CMP-5)

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
A grounded conductor(which is a neutral) and equipment grounding conductor are different, correct? I do know that but just confirming..lol

A homerun pipe with several circuits only needs to have ONE EGC, if not using the conduit as a EGC?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A grounded conductor(which is a neutral) and equipment grounding conductor are different, correct? I do know that but just confirming..lol
Short answer, yes (The grounded conductor = neutral can get more complicated but we will keep it simple)
A homerun pipe with several circuits only needs to have ONE EGC, if not using the conduit as a EGC?
YES (unless you have isolated grounding requirement)

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Guess this pretty clear dedicated neutrals are required?

View attachment 2569471
I actually don't think it's as clear as it could be. A multi-wire branch circuit is considered one circuit in the NEC in some instances and multiple circuits in others. If the intention of the note is to prohibit multi-wire branch circuits then it should say exactly that, or something equivalent such as "All branch circuits shall be 2-wire circuits with one ungrounded conductor and one neutral conductor." Otherwise I can claim that an MWBC is one circuit and that circuit has a dedicated neutral. So I'm not 100% what the intent of the note is, just taking the most reasonable guess.

(FWIW, I don't care if they say 'neutral' or 'grounded' if, as is almost always the case, the wiring system has a grounded neutral and that is clear in other specs.)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see how a "dedicated neutral conductor" can be anything but a neutral for every circuit meaning no MWBC's. Not the best choice of words but the meaning is there. If MWBC's were permitted then the wording would not be needed.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't see how a "dedicated neutral conductor" can be anything but a neutral for every circuit meaning no MWBC's. Not the best choice of words but the meaning is there. If MWBC's were permitted then the wording would not be needed.
Like jaggedben says, an MWBC is a single circuit, not just by the NEC definition but in it's physics. The grounded conductor of a two wire circuit is not a neutral except per the NEC definition.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Like jaggedben says, an MWBC is a single circuit, not just by the NEC definition but in it's physics. The grounded conductor of a two wire circuit is not a neutral except per the NEC definition.
I'm just saying that no one should look at the note that is in the OP and assume anything other than that no MWBC's are allowed. Although jaggedben is correct around here when someone uses the term dedicated neutral it means no MWBC's. It would have been clearer if they simply said no MWBC's but engineers are known to butcher electrical terms, first thing that comes to mind is what you mentioned in post #8 the word ground. :)

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
I actually don't think it's as clear as it could be. A multi-wire branch circuit is considered one circuit in the NEC in some instances and multiple circuits in others. If the intention of the note is to prohibit multi-wire branch circuits then it should say exactly that, or something equivalent such as "All branch circuits shall be 2-wire circuits with one ungrounded conductor and one neutral conductor." Otherwise I can claim that an MWBC is one circuit and that circuit has a dedicated neutral. So I'm not 100% what the intent of the note is, just taking the most reasonable guess.

(FWIW, I don't care if they say 'neutral' or 'grounded' if, as is almost always the case, the wiring system has a grounded neutral and that is clear in other specs.)
In regards to multi wire branch circuits other circuits/ loads do not have their own dedicated neutral going back to the neutral buss but instead may be spliced at a junction box with all these paralleled loads coming from ONE neutral.

It doesn’t make sense in this case above or if a standard non MWBC from one single phase breaker terminates to a junction box where multiple paralleled liads have a hot and a neutral but then terminate coming back to a common (not individual) neutral as the NEC seems to require?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Then give me an example of a Grounded Conductor!
Come on, the conductor in question is BOTH a grounded conductor and a neutral conductor. It extends the neutral point to the load. It would be easy if they are always the same, but they aren't. While much is an opinion the wire in question is serving more as the neutral than the grounded wire in this case.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In regards to multi wire branch circuits other circuits/ loads do not have their own dedicated neutral going back to the neutral buss but instead may be spliced at a junction box with all these paralleled loads coming from ONE neutral.

It doesn’t make sense in this case above or if a standard non MWBC from one single phase breaker terminates to a junction box where multiple paralleled liads have a hot and a neutral but then terminate coming back to a common (not individual) neutral as the NEC seems to require?
Huh? Can you explain a little better?
1705071246572.png
1705071286669.png
1705071322430.png

Ignoring the NEC definition, a neutral can only exist in a MWBC, two conductor circuits are simply series circuits.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Huh? Can you explain a little better?
View attachment 2569492
View attachment 2569493
View attachment 2569494

Ignoring the NEC definition, a neutral can only exist in a MWBC, two conductor circuits are simply series circuits.
Going based on NEC a neutral is derived from the midpoint of transformer secondary windings not taking into account the amperes flowing through it in relation to the line circuit(s)

However, the schematic above makes sense but as of now there seems to be ambiguity in neutral circuits since it can be referred to in so many different applications.

What I was saying was that the NEC code made me think it was asking for each load to have its own hot line conductor and its own neutral return wire but if you parallel other loads from this single line and neutral (such as “daisy chained” receptacles) each load/circuit doesn’t truly have its own “neutral” as the code confusingly seems to apply requirement to?