Motor branch circuits on VFDs

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Does a 460V, VFD driven motor mitigate the need to add 125% to the motor FLA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The feeder to the VFD needs to be sized based on the VFD maximum nameplate amps.. The feeder from VFD to motor still needs to be 125% of NEC motor FLA.

The cable from the VFD to the motor is a potent source of RFI. If it's in metal conduit, it probably is OK. If it's in PVC, then I recommend shielded cable. Okonite CLX is a good option as well. The NEC does not require shielded cable.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
The feeder to the VFD needs to be sized based on the VFD maximum nameplate amps.. The feeder from VFD to motor still needs to be 125% of NEC motor FLA.

The cable from the VFD to the motor is a potent source of RFI. If it's in metal conduit, it probably is OK. If it's in PVC, then I recommend shielded cable. Okonite CLX is a good option as well. The NEC does not require shielded cable.

Is RFI the same as EMI…electromagnetic interference?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Why? The current is less on the input side.
Because the code requires that the conductors to the line side of the VFD have an ampacity that is at least 125% of the rated input current of the VFD. Often the horse power rating of the VFD exceeds the horse power of the motor being supplied by the VFD.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
Does the cable need to be shielded to the motor ?
The NEC doesn't care. But those lines are potent sources of electromagnetic interference and nearby equipment may need them to ensure proper operation; e.g. cables in CNC's are usually shielded.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Does the cable need to be shielded to the motor ?

The instructions for the VFDs pretty much specify the use of shielded cable. However if you run single conductors in ferrous metal conduit, I don't see a need for shielded cables. I do specify the use of XHHW conductors as that is the type of conductors that is normally used in the VFD shielded cables. It is more resistant to the spikes on the output of the VFDs.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Conductors on VFD input are sized at 125% of VFD rating plate. Wire between the VFD (or a motor starter) to the motor can be downsize to the rating of the overload protection in the VFD or motor starter

masterinbama

Also multiple cables in a common conduit or wireway can become problematic if not shielded