30kw liquid cooled gen not cranking

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
First gen install.
The 7.5 amp fuse is blown. I found this out when wondering why it would not crank over.
The instructions say hock + up first to avoid sparks for explosion”
I did and when I hocked negative up I got a spark. I figured it was just the control board drawing power.
Would that sudden draw blow the fuse?? I only had factory fuse so trying another one tomorrow.

I think the fuse is keeping me from cranking gen. As soon as I hit manual it resets the control board back into wizard startup mode

Brand new gen

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Check both ends of each of the control wires for proper termination.

Also make sure all of the control wires in the ATS are on their terminals.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I double check.
Only thing that got me was on board it has “0/ground dc” in transfer switch. Manual says hock neutral for battery charger on neutral in ATS .does not say hock to “0/ground dc”
Charger is 120 volt so that makes sense, but there was no small termination port on the lugs.I got it on neutral. It was pouring down rain and I am heading back tomorrow with 20 fuses lol.

If I plug fuse in and it blows I know I have a problem I would think gen would pop up with a system warning

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I once had a car that required the battery to be connected to positive first in order for the computer/electronics to power up correctly.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Don’t know about the fuse without looking at the diagram, but at one time, Generac required you to call them for a code to enter for the first start on their commercial generators. They wanted that so they could start the bad warranty period. It would not start without that code.

RCC1

Occupation
Retired - E&I Maintenance Superintendent
All batteries connect the positive first, then the ground second. If you do it the other way around. and accidentally touch wrench between positive and the frame ground you get sparks. By connecting the positive first there is no possibility too short to ground with wrench.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Fuse still blowing with ats clipped remove from board so no connection to ats.

It blew before I had wires hocked up from ats so it’s an enternal fault from gen somewrre

Attachments

• C9462B03-DC09-42A5-A430-48ACE65D8F0D.jpeg
    C9462B03-DC09-42A5-A430-48ACE65D8F0D.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 21
  • CF60A2DA-F926-434F-B1EB-B336992A3F89.jpeg
    CF60A2DA-F926-434F-B1EB-B336992A3F89.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 7335AD65-62E5-4A03-86E8-E63A96AFEBA4.jpeg
    7335AD65-62E5-4A03-86E8-E63A96AFEBA4.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 21

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
What ones. The white on this block goes to neutral not 0/-dc

The white in transfer goes to ground I sealed and did not pull new one yet. I’ll keep looking

Attachments

• 28D4CC63-6468-4FED-A0F3-FC187033E837.jpeg
    28D4CC63-6468-4FED-A0F3-FC187033E837.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 9

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
That terminal block is completely messed up.

Wire 23 does not go to neutral either. It goes from the terminal block on the ATS to the terminal block on the generator.