Refrigerators on a GFCI circuit.

I thought there was an exception for refrigeration equipment being on a GFCI circuit. But I can't seem to find it in the 2023 code.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
As in:
The residential kitchen type?
Commercial walk in coolers?
Hardwired AC units?

Requirements for AFCI and GFCI protection have only expanded. IMO, you may find some area that is not covered but it won't exempt a particular piece of equipment.

I do not have the '23 as yet.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
I thought there was an exception for refrigeration equipment being on a GFCI circuit. But I can't seem to find it in the 2023 code.
If the refrigerator is in the kitchen or another location requiring GFCI , such as the garage, it requires GFCI. If you install the refrigerator somewhere else in house it may not. Location, location, location.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Prior to 2023 for Dwellings the receptacle would only have to be GFCI if it served the countertop outlet. In 2023 GFCI was required in kitchens....

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Perhaps you are thinking about the exception that allows a dwelling unit kitchen fridge to not be on an SABC, if it is on an individual circuit.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Or if within 6’ of sink. 210.8(A)(7).
Prior to 2023 for Dwellings the receptacle would only have to be GFCI if it served the countertop outlet. In 2023 GFCI was required in kitchens....
I thought that changed earlier (2020 Code?) Either way, that’s the way it is now. No more getting around having a GFCI on the fridge outlet. I think we can all expect a lot more nuisance tripping calls.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How are you providing GFCI protection for the refrigerator? The GFCI receptacle cannot be behind the frig so do you just use a GFCI circuit breaker? They do make WiFi GFCI's that tell you when they trip but that would need to be installed in a readily accessible location.

GFTA1-W_c.jpg

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
Here in Lake County, IL (at least the unincorporated areas) the indicating alarm GFCI's are required by code for sump pumps at a minimum. I know they arent real loud, but it is in the county code.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
How are you providing GFCI protection for the refrigerator? The GFCI receptacle cannot be behind the frig so do you just use a GFCI circuit breaker?

The receptacle behind the frig is downstream from the alarm one.😉 I agree these alarm receptacles are not ideal but I remember seeing them mentioned on a Mike Holt video.

I bet there'll be lots of local code exceptions. It looks like 2023 Oregon code will not require them, and won't require them on aquariums, either.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
The receptacle behind the frig is downstream from the alarm one.😉 I agree these alarm receptacles are not ideal but I remember seeing them mentioned on a Mike Holt video.

I bet there'll be lots of local code exceptions. It looks like 2023 Oregon code will not require them, and won't require them on aquariums, either.
They're holding onto the simplex dedicated receptacle exception still. It's a nice work around that I fully support. Straight NEC is wanting dualfunction for these locations so it makes sense to do the breaker for both now vs using an afci breaker and a gfci device at the counter top.

micabay

Appliance Tech
Occupation
Appliance Tech
I thought that changed earlier (2020 Code?) Either way, that’s the way it is now. No more getting around having a GFCI on the fridge outlet. I think we can all expect a lot more nuisance tripping calls.
Yup. Many many appliance repair folks despise GFCI. Most all manufactures don't recommend their machine be plugged into GFCI, and will void warranties if done so.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What about the code requirement that we follow manufacturers' instructions when the two conflict?