Where does it come from?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Has anyone here installed capacitors in parallel between phases to correct power factor?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Has anyone here installed capacitors in parallel between phases to correct power factor?
I would never build my own. Factory Power Factor Control capacitor banks include things like fuses and cell rupture protection.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Pretty common to have PFC capacitors on motors that are not on drives if the motors are above a certain size. Generally switched in with the motor starter.
We have large 100 hp 3 phase motors at our company with large starters without drives but no capacitors.

In one of my motor books it talks about different scenarios of installing capacitors parallel between all three phases but whether you install it upstream or downstream of starter yielded different results

I forgot how to calculate the proper size capacitor to get power factor closest to 1

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
I would never build my own. Factory Power Factor Control capacitor banks include things like fuses and cell rupture protection.
Is cell rupture protection the same as the dielectric between capacitors failing and shorting, causing a direct short between phases?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
We have large 100 hp 3 phase motors at our company with large starters without drives but no capacitors.

In one of my motor books it talks about different scenarios of installing capacitors parallel between all three phases but whether you install it upstream or downstream of starter yielded different results

I forgot how to calculate the proper size capacitor to get power factor closest to 1
The best place to connect capacitors, for motor PF correction, is between the motor starter contacts and the motor overload relay. Every other option requires some type of adjustment or accommodation. this is why NEMA starters, size 4 and larger, have provisions for lugs to be mounted before their OLR.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Let me look. Are you up for a Spreadsheet sent you way?

kwired

Electron manager

It has same effect on incoming line regardless if before or after the starter.

Thing you need to do differently if after the starter (or at least the motor overload protector) is adjust the overload setting to the power factor corrected current, or your motor can potentially run overloaded without pulling enough current through the overload to detect it.

how to calculate what capacitor to use - maybe search for "power factor triangle" and you may find some info to jog your memory? Need to know some trigonometry to do the calculations as you need to have a triangle that represents non corrected PF and then compare it to one that has been corrected to desired PF and select the capacitor that makes up that difference.

Last edited: