4" RGS Elbow

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Seemingly there might be more to the question. If you use a factory 90 are you going to have to cut & thread the adjoining stick ?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Seemingly there might be more to the question. If you use a factory 90 are you going to have to cut & thread the adjoining stick ?
Which is likely to be necessary either way, at least on one leg. The factory elbow saves layout time, too.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Bending vs. Pre-bend and cutting and threading a nipple, not much of a difference. With 4" RMC the difference will come when you try to spin on a elbow on a full 10' length of conduit. Then you'll wish that you had a manufactured elbow with a nipple.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well I included bending in my estimate and it gave me 3 hours per 4 in bend.
Well that's a money maker in either case. However, if I was trying to trim a bid for competitive reasons I would be adjusting this down.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Well that's a money maker in either case. However, if I was trying to trim a bid for competitive reasons I would be adjusting this down.
Gotcha I just don't know if the guys in the field are going to use prefab elbows or bend. I have about 10,000 ft of RGS. It consists of about four to six four inch pipes in each run. I put in bending cuz I wasn't really sure what would determine if they would use prefab elbows. It's all overhead runs at about 25 ft. Wide open space being supported by trapeze racks.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Considering a project of that size we would be field bending

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
10,000 ft of PVC Coated 4: RGS.
More power to you. I can't tell you how nervous I would be with that bid.
Hopefully you have some dang god journeyman and a lot of Ben-Gay.,.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
160429_002.jpg 160429_003.jpg 160429_001.jpg

I did this with all factory bends, and only had to cut and thread straight sections. I actually worked from the top down, so the Eriksons at the bottom at the reducers were the only ones I needed.

Up top, I had to 45 out from the wall, put in a 5' stick on 45 deg., a 90 around a ledge, another 5' stick at 45 deg., a 45 to horizontal, then one 90 down into the top of a disconnect, the other a GEC to a plate.

160504_005.jpg 160504_003.jpg

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you're interested, you can see the conduits wrap around the ledge and actually don't touch it.

(Please note that I did not run the 1-1/4" conduit; the cellular technician did.)

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
10,000 ft of PVC Coated 4: RGS.
More power to you. I can't tell you how nervous I would be with that bid.
Hopefully you have some dang god journeyman and a lot of Ben-Gay.,.
No it's about 3,000' pvc coated and 7,000' RGS non coated.

THey are actually seriously considering changing the RGS(non pvc coated) to RMC aluminum. Would aluminum be any easier than RGS?