lighting outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjg

I recently failed a final inspection on a new home due to the fact that we installed a ceiling fan w/o a light kit in a bedroom, this fan is controlled by a switch. My thought is that we installed a lighting outlet ,as required, I can not find a code reference that requires a light fixture to be installed, any thoughts?

thanks, pjg

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Interesting. I think it's an AHJ interpratation thing. Ask yourself "is this a hill I want to die on?". Why not just install a cheapo light kit to make the inspector happy? I've fought awfully hard for lesser things so there's no wrong answer.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
2005 NEC Article 100 Definitions

Lighting Outlet. An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder, a luminaire (lighting fixture), or a pendant cord terminating in a lampholder.
210.70(A)(1) says the exception is a receptacle outlet. The definition of receptacle outlet, as the definition of lighting outlet, doesn't mention paddlefans.

celtic

pjg said:
I can not find a code reference that requires a light fixture to be installed...

The question is not:
Do I have to install a switched outlet?

The question is:
Am I required to install a light on the switched outlet?

My answer:
NO

celtic said:
The question is:
Am I required to install a light on the switched outlet?

My answer:
NO

I agree, how many times do the custom MacMansions get finaled, before the chandelier or wall sconces arrive?

But on the other hand...
Why not just install a cheapo light kit to make the inspector happy? Single bulb Light kits are $3 @ HDepot

stew

so instead you put in a switched outlet to meet this requirement. In the inspectors logic it seems then he would require a lamp to be plugged in? No lit kit required, a swithched outlet only and that is what you have. It sis entirely up to the customer as to whether or not the want the lite. IMHO

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with the others. No light kit is required if you have a switched receptacle. Maybe the HO doesn't want a light kit and prefers lamps. And not all light kits are cheap. A Casablanca light kit can cost well over $100.

Jim W in Tampa

You are 100% right unless you have local amendments.Are you sure you want to push this ? Inspectors can get you back.He needs educated then perhaps he will back off.

pjg

as far as the cheapo light kit , the home owner of this not very cheapo house does't want a light on the fan. the homeowner did write a letter to the inspector that he did not want to have the light installed-problem solved on this one(at the request of the inspector)

The code section cited reads "intended for " not "shall be installed".

al hildenbrand

Occupation
pjg said:
The code section cited reads "intended for " not "shall be installed".
Well, that's just it. . .in my mind. When the room is presented to the AHJ for a "final", the state of the work is "done".

I think the work is "done" as intended. So walking in to do a final and finding the only switch in the room controlling only a paddlefan with no light kit, I would find a switch controlling a motor.

210.70 says "lighting outlet" or "receptacle".

210.70 does not say "switched outlet".

JohnE

To me, you are code compliant. You installed an outlet intended for a light. Owner chose not to install it. If you installed a blank plate instead of the fan, it would still be compliant to me. Even with fan installed, the outlet is there for someone to use if they choose. Just like someone may not choose to plug a lamp into a switched receptacle.

With that said, I don't know why HO would not want some sort of switched light in their room.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
j_erickson said:
With that said, I don't know why HO would not want some sort of switched light in their room.
:)

PJG,

This hasn't been asked about the room you are posting about. . .

Is the only switch for the room controlling only the outlet at which the paddlefan is mounted? That is, are there any other switches controlling other outlets in the room?

pjg

the room is a bedroom with no other switches for the "lighting outlet" there are no switched "receptacles" either. I have no idea why the HO doesn't want a light or a switched outlet.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
pjg said:
the room is a bedroom with no other switches for the "lighting outlet" there are no switched "receptacles" either. I have no idea why the HO doesn't want a light or a switched outlet.

If the room has no switch controlled light or no switch controlled receptacle then the inspector is correct. Doesn't really matter what the HO wants at this point since their request is not code compliant. Either add a light kit or add a switch controlled receptacle.

Jim W in Tampa

infinity said:
If the room has no switch controlled light or no switch controlled receptacle then the inspector is correct. Doesn't really matter what the HO wants at this point since their request is not code compliant. Either add a light kit or add a switch controlled receptacle.

Wrong,it says light OUTLET and he has that.Nothing says light fixture.The fan as long as it can except a light kit meets the requirement.He has a light outlet (box) thats all he needs.I will say that the owners letter does more damage than good.Saying i wont install a light kit could cause an argument.But it still could take one someday.Personally i would want the light some way.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Jim W in Tampa said:
Wrong,it says light OUTLET and he has that.Nothing says light fixture.The fan as long as it can except a light kit meets the requirement.He has a light outlet (box) thats all he needs.I will say that the owners letter does more damage than good.Saying i wont install a light kit could cause an argument.But it still could take one someday.Personally i would want the light some way.

My book says a "wall switch controlled lighting outlet". I don't see how a fan without a light is a lighting outlet.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Easy fix if there is a neutral in the switch box, just install a switch/receptacle combination device and switch the receptacle. If there is only a feed and switch leg, well, nevermind.

Roger

celtic

infinity said:
My book says a "wall switch controlled lighting outlet". I don't see how a fan without a light is a lighting outlet.

We are installing a "dummy plate" (Arlington makes it, I have no produt ## at this time)on the DR lighting outlet...no fixture, no problem with inspector.

celtic

roger said:
Easy fix if there is a neutral in the switch box, just install a switch/receptacle combination device and switch the receptacle.
How do fix what isn't broken?
The requirement has been met already.

Status
Not open for further replies.