Quality Work II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

Let's stay on topic here and enjoy some photos of good work:

This one impressed me that I recently inspected:

ProPanel.JPG

mdshunk

While it does look neat, why would a person do that? It wastes so much space. Question 2, did you pass it with the minimum bend radius violations?

tkb

Looks nice but there is a lot of wasted space used by the cables on the board.
Why couldn't all the NM cables be brought into the top? :confused:

peter d

When I first saw it, I immediately thought it was a Canadian panel. When I saw who the OP was, my next thought was that the electrician just got done watching Holmes on Homes.

I don't know where "NEPA" is, but I'm guessing that's "Northeast Pennsylvania?" :confused:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Looks like SER to me which would explain the length within the building. Nice job but a waste of a lot of space. I would question the number of cables under one staple.

ivsenroute

I spoke with the electrician and the builder who hires him requires this kind of work and QO panels. Thinks it makes everyone look more professional. Space is not a concern.

ivsenroute

While it does look neat, why would a person do that? It wastes so much space. Question 2, did you pass it with the minimum bend radius violations?

Yes, bend radius is not compliant with most of the bends.

For 12/2 NMB which is a little more than 3/8" in width or .394" you essentially would have to make a 90 deg. turn around the radius of a 4" circle in order to be compliant.

The thickness of NMB is around .190" so you would have to make a 90 deg bend around the radius of a 2" circle to be compliant.

These are safe numbers to use.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Yes, bend radius is not compliant with most of the bends.

For 12/2 NMB which is a little more than 3/8" in width or .394" you essentially would have to make a 90 deg. turn around the radius of a 4" circle in order to be compliant.

The thickness of NMB is around .190" so you would have to make a 90 deg bend around the radius of a 2" circle to be compliant.

These are safe numbers to use.
Where did you get these values?

I have never seen bending radius restrictions except for medium voltage and communications cables.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
334.24 Bending Radius. Bends in Types NM, NMC, and NMS cable shall be so made that the cable will not be damaged. The radius of the curve of the inner edge of any bend during or after installation shall not be less than five times the diameter of the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.