Alexa and exterior door light

Geber

Occupation
PE, retired electronics engineer
NEC 2017 210.70(A)(2)(2) requires a wall-switch controlled lighting outlet for exterior lights. I'm debating whether making the switch or the lighting fixture controlled by Alexa has any merit. Even if it is desirable, is it allowed?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't know how that would work, myself being very new to this Alexa stuff. We have two devices with WIFI links to the Amazon Echo controller, each plugged into a receptacle outlet, each having a lamp plugged into it. We say, "Alexa, turn on plug one," and that light turns on. How would Alexa communicate with an exterior light that gets its power from a hard-wired circuit via a wall switch?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I tell Alexa thank you sometimes. Just to be polite. :)
Saying "thank you" is not enough. You have to first state the name.

I just did a test. I first said, "Alexa, what is the time." After "her" reply, I said, "Alexa, thank you." Then Alexa said, "You're welcome. Your kindness really gives me a charge." ;)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
NEC 2017 210.70(A)(2)(2) requires a wall-switch controlled lighting outlet for exterior lights. I'm debating whether making the switch or the lighting fixture controlled by Alexa has any merit. Even if it is desirable, is it allowed?
I have a cheap 'smart' switch from Best Buy, it still has mechanical contacts as well. Now I have outdoor house lights that are on an 'astronomical' timer that never needs adjustment for daylight saving.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Our outdoor lights above the garage door are LED with photosensors built into the bulbs themselves. We leave the wall switch (inside the garage) on all the time.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Saying "thank you" is not enough. You have to first state the name.

I just did a test. I first said, "Alexa, what is the time." After "her" reply, I said, "Alexa, thank you." Then Alexa said, "You're welcome. Your kindness really gives me a charge." ;)
I have her set so i can give a follow up command without the wake word.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
When my kids learned 'Alexa, tell me a fart joke....' sigh

Back to the OP, there are lots of 'smart switches' on the market. Use one that Alexa can control and you meet code and have automation.

Downside is that both Amazon and the maker of your switch and whomever can hack their protocol end up knowing the state of your front door lights.

Jon

Geber

Occupation
Mine too, "It's a machine" "You say thank you to the coffee maker?"
What I say to machines can't be repeated in a forum. And ever since I started working at IBM a few decades ago, I've called each computer I've dealt with a "machine". IBM went out of its way to not talk about computers as if they were human. For example, data wasn't kept in memory, it was kept in store.

A technicality in another post: as I read it, overhead garage doors don't have to have a light near them, so how it's controlled is entirely up to the installer.

Geber

Occupation
Followup: I ended up installing a Leviton D215S. I have it working with the Leviton app and Alexa.