Bid by the opening…

sw_ross

I’ve mainly done bids/estimates using assemblies. I know some do it by the opening. That definitely sounds easier but maybe not as precise as assemblies?

For people here that use the opening method what would be some of your standard “price per opening”? For example, receps and switches. I’ve heard people say a specific price per recessed can also?
I would Imagine the price being adjusted for things like dimmer switches, timer switches, fan speed control switches, usb receps, and GFCI receps?

Thanks!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
i drew up a floor plan and determined what I thought should be an adequate layout for the house. I used that to determine the base per opening price. At one time $13 per. (Go ahead and laugh) Options were dimmers, cans, etc and were an add. Even my largest custom home was nowhere close to what I see as so common now.

sw_ross

I've never priced or done a per-opening or per-sq-ft job; I prefer to give a flat price.
I was more thinking that I’d use the per opening method for coming up with a ballpark estimate for the project, giving the HO a number that was not itemized.

I guess I’m looking for an easier method to give a price that doesn’t use assemblies, but maybe that’s the better method to use?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I was more thinking that I’d use the per opening method for coming up with a ballpark estimate for the project, giving the HO a number that was not itemized.

I guess I’m looking for an easier method to give a price that doesn’t use assemblies, but maybe that’s the better method to use?

A per-opening price seems to be the standard method for changes to the base price in large-scale production home building in my area. It should be simple enough to average a cost using your assembly pricing for lighting, switches, & receptacles.

cdslotz

I don't know how anyone could price by opening vs assemblies because they are one in the same. At least that how I did it.
A receptacle is made up of all the parts plus labor unit of each part. Parts+total labor man/hrs x the rate+OH&P= total opening price

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I don't know how anyone could price by opening vs assemblies because they are one in the same. At least that how I did it.
A receptacle is made up of all the parts plus labor unit of each part. Parts+total labor man/hrs x the rate+OH&P= total opening price

my interpretation of a "per opening" price means that it is not dependent on the device, i.e., a receptacle, S1 switch, S3 switch, S4 switch, standard lighting fixture box & install, etc, are all the same price. I would exclude appliances & equipment.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I use opening/assembly pricing.

My labor for one opening is 15 minutes

The materials for a standard opening is $20 and includes box, 10' or 18' wire depending on #12 or #14, device, plate. Ceiling materials are the same because a ceiling box costs the same as a wall box + device and plate.

I don't care how many GFCI, 3-ways, 4-ways, etc but I do add for decora or screwless plates.

I also keep the same 15 minutes labor for bath fans, smoke detectors and such, but adding the extra materials

As important as the opening price is, the opening QUANTITY might be more important, and how I count that quantity.

I count every gang as an opening. Dryer is 2 openings. Range, Air conditioner disconnect, water heater, etc are 2 openings

I have other pricing for home runs, but it's still counted as 15 minutes of labor, with higher materials. #10 and bigger are figured by the foot

At the breaker panel, I count every breaker pole as another opening. That's in addition to all the materials for the service and a price for assembling it.

So some of what I do is double counting.

In the end, what matters is the total price.
My way gets me there.

Another way is materials x 2.5 because in my experience, a new construction job will be 40% materials and 60% labor. That gives you something to compare your "per opening price" to

sw_ross

I use opening/assembly pricing.

My labor for one opening is 15 minutes

The materials for a standard opening is $20 and includes box, 10' or 18' wire depending on #12 or #14, device, plate. Ceiling materials are the same because a ceiling box costs the same as a wall box + device and plate.

I don't care how many GFCI, 3-ways, 4-ways, etc but I do add for decora or screwless plates.

I also keep the same 15 minutes labor for bath fans, smoke detectors and such, but adding the extra materials

As important as the opening price is, the opening QUANTITY might be more important, and how I count that quantity.

I count every gang as an opening. Dryer is 2 openings. Range, Air conditioner disconnect, water heater, etc are 2 openings

I have other pricing for home runs, but it's still counted as 15 minutes of labor, with higher materials. #10 and bigger are figured by the foot

At the breaker panel, I count every breaker pole as another opening. That's in addition to all the materials for the service and a price for assembling it.

So some of what I do is double counting.

In the end, what matters is the total price.
My way gets me there.

Another way is materials x 2.5 because in my experience, a new construction job will be 40% materials and 60% labor. That gives you something to compare your "per opening price" to
Thanks, that’s interesting! I’ll compare your method to a normal assembly method for comparison.
I also seem to remember someone (maybe yourself?) commenting about recessed cans with a different price per opening for can lights?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks, that’s interesting! I’ll compare your method to a normal assembly method for comparison.
I also seem to remember someone (maybe yourself?) commenting about recessed cans with a different price per opening for can lights?
Yes, it's different because of the higher materials cost.