Can’t use Production Meter as a Raceway…

MooseOverlord

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I’m trying to understand what this Utility inspector meant by this. We failed an inspection for a solar installation in CT for a reason that I didn’t really understand. CT requires we install a Production Meter between the Main Solar Disconnect and the Combiner. Normally we enter the meter in one hole and exit another, not landing the neutral wire just looping it around the interior. My guy for whatever reason decided to use one pipe, entering with the load wires from the disconnect and exiting via the same pipe from the load side of the meter lugs to the combiner. We failed the Utility Co. inspection who cited that we weren’t allowed to use the meter enclosure as a “raceway”. I really don’t understand how the definition of “raceway” applies here. The pipe fill was no problem, bonding requirements were met and no other wires were passed through that were for any other purpose than the meter. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Thank you.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Sounds like that inspector is off his rocker. Sorry. Is he saying you used it as a raceway for something else not allowed? What would that be? You sure it's not the regular meter he's talking about?

Your guy shouldn't even need to loop the neutral through the meter socket. But I've met some inspectors who don't understand 300.20 either, so I'll forgive him.

Carultch

I’m trying to understand what this Utility inspector meant by this. We failed an inspection for a solar installation in CT for a reason that I didn’t really understand. CT requires we install a Production Meter between the Main Solar Disconnect and the Combiner. Normally we enter the meter in one hole and exit another, not landing the neutral wire just looping it around the interior. My guy for whatever reason decided to use one pipe, entering with the load wires from the disconnect and exiting via the same pipe from the load side of the meter lugs to the combiner. We failed the Utility Co. inspection who cited that we weren’t allowed to use the meter enclosure as a “raceway”. I really don’t understand how the definition of “raceway” applies here. The pipe fill was no problem, bonding requirements were met and no other wires were passed through that were for any other purpose than the meter. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Thank you.
If the utility has involvement with the meter in some form or another (e.g. the service meter, or your state's equivalent of the MA Smart program meter), you can't count on the standard rules allowing you to do what you can ordinarily do in an enclosure in general. Utilities typically don't want to see connectors that are foreign to the meter socket (e.g. tap connectors), or circuits foreign to the circuit being measured, within their enclosure.

For a meter that is completely customer-owned, that doesn't concern the utility, there's no issue with what you are doing. Any enclosure load-side of the service disconnect, in general, is allowed to contain pass through conductors, with a label informing the user of their presence, and how to shut them off.

The meaning of raceway in this context, means enclosed wiring method. Could be an enclosure, could be a conduit, could be a wire trough, or anything similar.

jaggedben

Occupation
Perhaps the inspector doesn't understand that the neutral is the same circuit and isn't foreign to what's going through the meter. Like I said, the neutral doesn't need to be in there. Perhaps pulling out that neutral loop is all you've got to do. (He's still unqualified to be doing these inspections, IMO, unless there's something you've left out. But what are you going to do about that.)

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Perhaps the inspector doesn't understand that the neutral is the same circuit and isn't foreign to what's going through the meter. Like I said, the neutral doesn't need to be in there. Perhaps pulling out that neutral loop is all you've got to do. (He's still unqualified to be doing these inspections, IMO, unless there's something you've left out. But what are you going to do about that.)
FWIW, some AHJs that I deal with require that a neutral be run through a PV production meter to the next termination point away from the interconnection even if the neutral is not used anywhere else in the PV system.

jaggedben

Occupation
FWIW, some AHJs that I deal with require that a neutral be run through a PV production meter to the next termination point away from the interconnection even if the neutral is not used anywhere else in the PV system.
Which it sounds like the installer did here? I still don't get what the issue could possibly be.

Steve16

Occupation
Master electrician
None of this matters. Eversource and UI get to make whatever rules they want up here 🤷‍♂️

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Utility company inspector?
Not a real state inspector.

What's the difference say a utility underground service comes in the bottom, doesn’t land the neutral but continues this neutral through to the panel in a residence??

I get bonding here, but in reality I can't see the issue.
And I’m the utility inspector for our utility..