card-access cabling.

jtracy

Occupation
Low votlage
I do a lot of card access work with low-voltage cabling. 18/2, 22/6, cat 6 etc. in the NEC, what would cabling for card access be considered? maybe a signaling circuit, messenger cable, im not sure. let me know your thoughts and code references if you have them. thanks.

jtracy

Occupation
Low votlage
that makes sense to me, with one caviat, a standard IP camera takes between 48-53v dc. 725.41 says that it has to be 30v or less and no more than 1000va. would that make cameras different that class 1?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
hat makes sense to me, with one caviat, a standard IP camera takes between 48-53v dc.

What does the label say on the switch or router about the power over IP ports?

The power source is what determines the "class" and wiring needed. It will be labeled to tell you. (725.121)

If the power source or supply is labeled Class 2 or Class 3, that tells you that you may use a (low voltage) CL2 or CL3 listed wiring method. If there is no label then it means that it is Class 1 and a Class 1, Chapter 3 wiring method must be used.

Since this is an IP powered camera, without a doubt CAT 5 or CAT 6 cable is to be used which is listed as CL2/CM. This means that the cable is suitable for both CL2 power and Communications Multipurpose.

-Hal

Last edited: