CI/CIC Cable

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Here is one. CI cable is listed for free air only and can't be installed in conduit. CIC cable is listed for installation in conduit and can't be installed in conduit, and the conduit and all its fittings must be a manufacturer in the listing. There is apparently a combination cable. My question is can CI cable (not the combination) be installed in sleeve? More specifically a long sleeve. In this case one that extends from one floor to another. Common sense tells me it can be installed in a sleeve through a partition, for example. As I am typing this, I could see a possible answer that the sleeve must be shorter than the spacing requirement for securing and supporting, maybe. Any thoughts or direct knowledge on this?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hold on here. CI and CIC are in no way related to each other. CIC is conductors preinstalled in a non metallic flexible type conduit. Normally used for underground work. Big with the center pivot irrigation folks.
CI cable is used in buildings where the wiring has to be protected from fire. Sort of a glorified MC cable.
As for a sleeve with CI, I would reach out to the vendor as the NRTL listing for CI cable has very specific installation requirements. A well know maker of CI cabling is Vitalink.

Strathead

Occupation
Hold on here. CI and CIC are in no way related to each other. CIC is conductors preinstalled in a non metallic flexible type conduit. Normally used for underground work. Big with the center pivot irrigation folks.
CI cable is used in buildings where the wiring has to be protected from fire. Sort of a glorified MC cable.
As for a sleeve with CI, I would reach out to the vendor as the NRTL listing for CI cable has very specific installation requirements. A well know maker of CI cabling is Vitalink.
https://www.radix-wire.com/products/fire-rated-cables/duralife-dual-rated-ci-cic-fplr/

You are incorrect sir.

Strathead

Occupation
That about covers it. (y)
But it doesn't address my question. You were one of the ones I hoped might have an answer for me on this question. What have you seen? I have only dealt with survivability cable in conduit prior to this. Common sense tells me you will have short sleeves, and certainly that is expected. But a chase over a soffit, or in the electric room or anywhere else exposed would likely be in conduit. I just found out my Fire Alarm sub on this job only uses the combo cable for all applications. That seems the right way to go.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
But it doesn't address my question. You were one of the ones I hoped might have an answer for me on this question. What have you seen? I have only dealt with survivability cable in conduit prior to this. Common sense tells me you will have short sleeves, and certainly that is expected. But a chase over a soffit, or in the electric room or anywhere else exposed would likely be in conduit. I just found out my Fire Alarm sub on this job only uses the combo cable for all applications. That seems the right way to go.
You certainly don't want to use the CI only cable in any situation where you might need to sleeve it for physical protection, since the AHJ might consider that to be conduit and a violation of the listing. Using the dual-listed product saves so many headaches.