Circuit position for Circuit Breaker with both thermal and overload in a motor circuit

jakeparsons03

Occupation
Engineer
Let's say you are putting together a motor circuit with DOL starter contacts.

In Section 430.1 of the NEC it shows the order as Motor branch-circuit short-circuit and ground-fault protection device -> Motor control circuit -> motor overload. From that I would think the order would go, Supply -> Magnetic Component -> Starter Contacts -> Thermal Component -> Motor. If you are using a MPCB with Thermal and Magnetic components combined under one device, which side of the starter contacts do you put it on?

Also, I know there are more components to the circuit described above, I am only concerned about this portion at the moment though.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The MCP or Inverse Time Breaker whichever you select would be the 1st component connected to the suply

Might be worth noting that an Inverse Time Breaker can only be used as part of a listed combination controller

jakeparsons03

Occupation
Engineer
@augie47 Thanks! That's what I figured but the NEC likes to make things a bit fuzzy sometimes. Also I think you may have it backwards, the MCP can only be used as part of a listed combination controller.