Copper prices.

nizak

Here in the Midwest Cu wire has been going up almost weekly in the last month.

14/2 250. $78 to $109 in 5 weeks.

Other areas the same?

Jeff_H

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
On March 4th, I priced 500 MCM, copper, THWN-2 at $9.36 per foot.

On May 1st, the same wire is $12.79 per foot. That's a big increase in two months.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just make sure you include a disclaimer in your proposals that the price is only good until the end of the week. During real volatile times I'd make mine until the end of the day.

nizak

One of the local guys who does cookie cutter houses bought out both Big Orange stores here a few weeks back.

20+ 1K ft spools from one and almost again as much at the other.

Not sure how much less he pays for the larger quantities , I find Big Orange is always higher than the other two box stores .

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I know big box stores are convenient but when I was buying any decent to large quantity of wire I would send it to at least four suppliers for competitive pricing

Todd0x1

i just got ~$20k worth of wire quoted, they said price is so volatile price was good today only and would have to rebid at time of order

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On the other end of the spectrum, I happened to be in the aisle at my local orange store as the guy, with whom I had already started chatting, was marking down to half price an unwrapped roll of 14-2. I asked him why, and he said nobody would buy it in case it was less than a full 250'.

I said, "I'll take it!"

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
On the other end of the spectrum, I happened to be in the aisle at my local orange store as the guy, with whom I had already started chatting, was marking down to half price an unwrapped roll of 14-2. I asked him why, and he said nobody would buy it in case it was less than a full 250'.

I said, "I'll take it!"
Isnt the length stamped in the outer sheath?

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
If you mean incremental length markings like much low-voltage cabling comes with, no.

It was obviously a250' roll. The ends looked factory cut, at an angle, not straight across.
Yes thats what i meant, and oopsie.. i must be mixing things up... am i thinking of cat/rg or multi strand big cable?!

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Just make sure you include a disclaimer in your proposals that the price is only good until the end of the week. During real volatile times I'd make mine until the end of the day.
Seen when lumber was going crazy a couple of years ago the big box here changed the price sign to an electronic sign and it could change multiple times a day. You could get a load of lumber on a cart, go to other end of store to get other things and when you come back through to check out, the price had changed. Most times not by cents but dollars. They did the same with wire for a while. Sounds like it is starting again.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here in the Midwest Cu wire has been going up almost weekly in the last month.

14/2 250. $78 to $109 in 5 weeks.

Other areas the same?
I just checked current 14/2 prices (250') at 2 of my supply houses and HD.
Supply House #1 $77.75
Supply House #2 $86.25
HD $109.00

kwired

Electron manager
Purchased 1000' 12-2 NM on May 1 - $641.27.

12-2 UF was $746.02 same day.

Anyone know what might be driving the price right now?