Exterior Lighting circuit

FernandoA67

Occupation
Electrical Designer
I am doing a self storage building , 12 units with no interior electrical just 2 wall pack on the exterior of the building being fed from a lighting panel in another building. Does the 20a circuit feeding the (2) wall packs require a disconnecting means even though the branch circuits are not entering the building ? The branch circuit is feeding the lights via exterior mounted conduit.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
Seems you want art 225 pt II.
225.31 says you need a means to disconnect anything that supplies a building.
225.32 says it shall be installed inside or outside the building served, readily accessible nearest the point of entrance, but there's an exception for that.
"For installations under single management, where documented safe switching procedures are established and maintained for disconnection, and where the installation is monitored by qualified individuals, the disconnecting means shall be permitted to be located elsewhere on the premises."

225.30E would permit having a separate lighting feed.

FernandoA67

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Thank you so much. I appreciate your quick response. This is what I was holding my hat on that it is under a single management / owner that has a manned office on site.

d0nut

I don't know that I would say the circuit serves the building. It serves lighting that is mounted on a building, but doesn't serve anything in the building. From a risk standpoint, how is this installation any different than a site light on a pole or mounted in the ground?

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
There is another exemption under 225.32 specific to towers and poles.
I have not had to yet oversee such an installation, so I am not speaking from direct experience, just code reference. I could be off.