How much to replace 480v 3phase 225amp panel?

Occupation
Electrician
Hello, just wondering if anyone can give me insight on what you would charge to replace a 480v 3phase 225amp panel bottom fed. 42 circuit. With about 13 existing circuits?The panel is surface mounted and everything is piped in.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
Do you have a specific model here, or are you looking for an hours ballpark without materials included?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I've priced materials to be 2,900. it a Cuttler Hammer so i'm replacing with an eaton
Has it passed an inspection before? Is everything there and it’s a simple panel swap?
Is an EGC required and is it in there?
It would hurt to price it too cheap only to have the inspector have you change some costly things.
Here, I would have my inspector stop by for a Quick Look and get his opinion so there aren’t any surprises at inspection time.

Occupation
Electrician
Has it passed an inspection before? Is everything there and it’s a simple panel swap?
Is an EGC required and is it in there?
It would hurt to price it too cheap only to have the inspector have you change some costly things.
Here, I would have my inspector stop by for a Quick Look and get his opinion so there aren’t any surprises at inspection

Is that the base materials cost minus any markup/overhead, just parts+tax?
Yes correct just parts and tax.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This seems like a day job to me. I would charge them the parts cost plus whatever profit I want to make for a days work. $2000 seems fair.

Then I would finish it in the morning and take the rest of the day off for a nice nap. :)

However, if there is an inspection involved, I would add $2000 for the time required for screwing around with the inspection process.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Here, I would have my inspector stop by for a Quick Look and get his opinion so there aren’t any surprises at inspection time.
Will they just "stop by" for free?

Why would there be any surprises? They don't get to inspect anything other than the work on your permit. if you do that right, there are no surprises.

Occupation
Electrician
This seems like a day job to me. I would charge them the parts cost plus whatever profit I want to make for a days work. $2000 seems fair.

Then I would finish it in the morning and take the rest of the day off for a nice nap. :)

However, if there is an inspection involved, I would add $2000 for the time required for screwing around with the inspection process.
That seems about right to me! I'm getting that same number. No inspection on this one just a quick in and out.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Will they just "stop by" for free?

Why would there be any surprises? They don't get to inspect anything other than the work on your permit. if you do that right, there are no surprises.

Ours will. It’s just something they will do.
Also makes for good relations IMO.

I had a job that was difficult at a church, removing primary over head transformers, CT cabinet outside, new junction inside, etc.

Had the inspector stop by to look and discuss with me.
Come inspection day (Friday) he forgot the scheduled inspection that afternoon and was headed to the beach. He passed it on the road because he already knew my work and looked at this job.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
Just guts, save the enclosure? Only 13 circuits, assuming no outstanding compliance issues, it seems like a half day for efficient direct labor, unless I'm missing something. I've done full new 40-odd circuit panels in as much time, but demo will take a bit, and I don't want to rush...
Add in inspection time, quote time, drive time, might as well round up to a day. Everyone has a different labor number there, and different markup.
Overall, $5k with your materials price is fair to me, but I'm low usually, so trust the other guys' numbers perhaps more (I'm assuming peters' $2k incl markup so we're both in line if that's the case).
(also a new EC, so my numbers are posted more for feedback than reference)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can be a lamb or a bear :)
same can ? new can ? same size can ? conduits enter from how many directions (ie: is the can 'locked in')..existing feeders reach or need to be spliced.... all those details can certainly have a bearing on your price.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am not an ec. I was just kidding on taking the job so I could nap the afternoon away.

My opinion is you charge as much as you feel you can get. If you overcharge it will hurt your chances of future business.

If you undercharge, well $5 an hour is hardly worth the effort.

There is no right or wrong answer.