How to read all the PI's?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Greetings group the deadline for 2026 is approaching.
Is there a way on nfpa.org to read all the PI's people have submitted so far?
Sorry if this a a dumb question.
I have an nfpa online account and clicked 'next edition' but dont see where to read the PI's?
Thanks!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The PIs wont be available to read for some time after the submission deadline. The last few cycles they have published the "raw" PIs prior to the first draft reporting date. Once they publish the first draft, they are all available, but you have to take extra steps to see the "resolved" (rejected) PIs.
Raw = the PI by itself with no panel action.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Wow interesting thanks.
Then in the case there is no way to tell if one is submitting a duplicate PI.
Unless they post their PI on here.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Wow interesting thanks.
Then in the case there is no way to tell if one is submitting a duplicate PI.
Unless they post their PI on here.
Correct. It is common to have multiple PIs for the same subject, often the results of discussion groups like this.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I assume if more people submit a PI about the same issue, it sway the members to actually look into the subject?
All PIs are read, but I doubt that multiple PIs on the same issue would get any more attention than a single PI. If there are multiple on the same subject, they will be put in a group and there will be one panel response or action for the whole group.

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
The PIs wont be available to read for some time after the submission deadline. The last few cycles they have published the "raw" PIs prior to the first draft reporting date. Once they publish the first draft, they are all available, but you have to take extra steps to see the "resolved" (rejected) PIs.
Raw = the PI by itself with no panel action.
What makes something be a "resolved" or rejected PI? I'm assuming that means it doesn't get considered at committee meetings or voted on.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
We all must learn that some customary words or phrases are very harsh on some people's feelings ! Don't you care.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Someone told me that in California, teachers aren't allowed to use red pens to correct papers anymore, because it can be perceived as threatening. I don't know whether to believe that.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What makes something be a "resolved" or rejected PI? I'm assuming that means it doesn't get considered at committee meetings or voted on.
All PIs are considered and have a voice vote at the first draft meeting. In most cases, there will be task group meetings, prior to the full committed meetings. Most of the discussion will actually take place in the task group meetings, than at the full committee meeting the task group reports will be reviewed and voted on. Some times what the task group members had decided on in their group meetings will be rejected by the full code making panel.

Those that get at least a 50% favorable vote at the full committee meeting will be formally balloted. Anything that does not get the 50% vote at the meeting will be reported as resolved.

When the formal ballots are counted, any code change requires at least a 2/3's majority vote.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Is there a way on nfpa.org to read all the PI's people have submitted so far?
They are available now at the expected location:

Cheers, Wayne