Interlocking Armored CAT 6A Cable

TFT1980

Occupation
Licensed Electrical Contractor
Are you required to bond armored CAT 6A cable? We are installing in a school for security camera drops. We plan on stripping back the armor where we bring to the racks and before the connections at the cameras. I have attached the cut sheet for the cable we are using. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• GenSPEED® 6 Category 6 Interlock Armored Cable.pdf
    119.6 KB · Views: 16

cabledawg

Occupation
cable dude
Thats pretty Heavy Duty for a camera. I havent worked with that before. IMO, i wouldnt think you would need to bond it. Just maybe strap the end down at the camera location and possibly bond/Ground it in the Comm room. Hope it helps.

cabledawg

Occupation
cable dude
you should be able to stop the metallic sheath before it hits the ladder rack and tie into the ground at that point and then run the remaining pigtail of whatever length you need to get to the patch panels and terminate. But if you have more than 1 Camera to cable, you might have to come up with a better solution. If seen some pretty bad things from cabling contractors.

Last edited:

TFT1980

Occupation
Licensed Electrical Contractor
you should be able to stop the metallic sheath before it hits the ladder rack and tie into the ground at that point and then run the remaining pigtail of whatever length you need to get to the patch panels and terminate. But if you have more than 1 Camera to cable, you might have to come up with a better solution. If seen some pretty bad things from cabling contractors.
But the main question is it required? We have about 5500 camera drops across 75 schools. Our plan is to strip back the armor where we enter the IDF room before hitting the rack.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Use two-screw MC connectors, and land them in a trough. Bond the trough. Not sure if you need to, but it would certainly look nice.

Alternatively, get a sheet of 14ga steel laser cut with 7/8" holes for the MC connectors, and sized to fit on the 19" rack rails. That would look really slick. The rack should be bonded anyway, so bonding is taken care of. How many cables are you landing at a rack?

SceneryDriver