Line-to-neutral EV chargers?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Ask the manufacturer? The only potential issue I see is if the ground fault sensing system expects what you say. But that seems dependent on how they implemented.

paullmullen

Occupation
Electrical Engineer & Master Electrician
For fun, I just checked the Ford PowerStation Pro... It is 240V and is expecting L1, L2, N, and Ground. So you'll have a double-pole breaker. ;-)

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For fun, I just checked the Ford PowerStation Pro... It is 240V and is expecting L1, L2, N, and Ground. So you'll have a double-pole breaker. ;-)
I have never installed one but just looked up the spec sheet which states:
Three-wire configuration of L1, L2 and Ground—hardwired
to junction box.

No neutral required but that doesn't mean it will accept a connection to a 230 volt circuit that has one side grounded.

retirede

You two may be looking at different things. The Ford Charge Station Pro (sold with the F150 Lightning) definitely does not require a neutral.

There are other Ford EVSEs that also use the “Pro” moniker that are sold to fleet operators. I’m not familiar with them, but the specs could be different.

JoeStillman

I have a commission for a project with 100 chargers in a big parking lot. I think a 400Y/230V transformer and 3Ø 4W panel with 1P breakers would be better than a 240V 3Ø 3W transformer and panel, just because I could use 1P instead of 2P breakers and the panel mains would be almost half the ampacity.

We're not talking about 120/240V, 1Ø, 3W (L-N-L) branch circuits.