Looking for motor schematic education

RizzaJohn

Occupation
Designer
Hello,
I am an electrical designer looking to improve my knowledge. I’m looking for documentation to show me how to build motor wiring, diagrams, and schematics i.e. medium/high voltage.
I have a basic understanding of them and can read them for the most part, but I’m trying to find books and documentation on, for example, starting with a simple diagram and then building each piece explaining why it’s there and what it’s used for. Suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks and have a nice day
John

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I've seen quite a few 240VAC and 120(?)VDC MV starters. The DC ones were interesting as they had two coils. Once the contacts pulled in, then the one coil would drop out. These are probably 50 years old, now. Not sure if they still make them like that.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I've seen quite a few 240VAC and 120(?)VDC MV starters. The DC ones were interesting as they had two coils. Once the contacts pulled in, then the one coil would drop out. These are probably 50 years old, now. Not sure if they still make them like that.
Have seen a number where, after the full voltage to the coil had pulled in the contactor, they put a resistor in series with the coil to limit the coil current. Same idea, just a different method.