NEC 695.15

hyattjay

Occupation
Engineer
I have a question regarding the requirement for a SPD for (in/on) a electric fire pump controller. We have a UL/FM listed controller installed, it has a UL/FM sticker on the door (clearly visible). the AHJ asked for the sticker to state there is a SPD installed. The manufacturer said the entire assembly is listed and provided the UL/FM certifications and the specific UL listing text showing the installed SPDs are listed. I pointed out to the AHJ that the NEC section 695.15 only states, "A listed surge protection device shall be installed in or on the fire pump controller." I could not find a specific NEC or UL requirement that the equipment UL sticker states a SPD is installed. What's the groups take on this? The manufacturer can't just send a new UL sticker and either has to have a UL inspector show up on site to inspect the equipment or we ship it back to have a new UL sticker applied.

JoeStillman

Was he an Electrical inspector, or a Fire System inspector? I'm guessing fire system because an Electrical Inspector would have known that he was seeing a factory installed SPD and understood the UL certification.

hyattjay

Occupation
Engineer
Electrical Inspector. I had a separate discussion with the inspector's manager, went over the documents from the manufacturer and the manager signed off on the UL labeling being adequate.