PI: 312.5(C)

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Today's first PI is to clarify that you can put a cable in a conduit system that runs to an Article 312 enclosure without securing the cable to the enclosure.

Cheers, Wayne

(C) Cables.
Where a cable wiring method is used, each cable shall be secured to the cabinet, cutout box, or meter socket enclosure.

Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Public Input

The current wording appears to cover cables that enter a cabinet through a complete raceway system from another enclosure. However I do not believe that is the intent; the analogous section for junction boxes, 314.17(B), exempts that case in subsection (3). The proposed revision clarifies that the requirement does not apply to raceway wiring methods.

thebickle

New User
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks Wayne, I agree with your input on the need for a change. I have been researching this section, and I also can't find where 'cable' is defined in the code. Article 392 refers to 'single-conductor cables' and 'multiconductor cables'. Using this broad definition of cable, 312.5(C) could be used to invalidate almost every panelboard installation where 'single-conductor' or multiconductor cables enter in a conduit less than 18" or greater than 10', correct?