Pool safety check list.

Occupation
C-10
Hi I just finished Mike holts video “ how to verify the electrical system of a pool is safe”

In the video it seems as if he has a sort of checklist he’s going through. Does anyone know where I could find this list or if there’s a Pool safety checklist floating around that I could look at? I was thinking about making my own on a spreadsheet, but I wanted to see what was out there first.

Occupation
C-10
Thank you, I’ll use this too, but I’m looking for something more similar to what was in Mike holts video I mentioned or something similar that helps guide one through NEV measurement checklist.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Just write down what he did, and the instruments used. I made a long extension like he used to check the deck and other items. One of the videos on this has been taken down, so I don't know which one you watched.

IIRC, he took a NEV check at 50' from the panel
took another NEV at the pool panel
Checked readings to each piece of equipment
Checked to deck (wet) out 3'-5'
Checked to water
He also checked continuity, especially deck to water

You might try to contact Mike through his website and ask if he would give you a list.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I am seeing a trend ... How do Electrical Contractors make a profit when dealing with these GFCI/AFCI breakers when doing electrical work. It seems that you are still responsible long after the work is completed.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am seeing a trend ... How do Electrical Contractors make a profit when dealing with these GFCI/AFCI breakers when doing electrical work. It seems that you are still responsible long after the work is completed.
A customer calls you at midnight that the work you did six months ago is now tripping a braker.
This is not about troubleshooting, or a "no service" call. The OP is looking for a list of things to check for pool safety, similar to what Mike Holt used in his video.

Occupation
C-10
Just write down what he did, and the instruments used. I made a long extension like he used to check the deck and other items. One of the videos on this has been taken down, so I don't know which one you watched.

IIRC, he took a NEV check at 50' from the panel
took another NEV at the pool panel
Checked readings to each piece of equipment
Checked to deck (wet) out 3'-5'
Checked to water
He also checked continuity, especially deck to water

You might try to contact Mike through his website and ask if he would give you a list.
Thank you. This is helpful for sure. I’m going to try 50’ from panel just to test. The video I saw he was only 6’ from panel but I also remember hearing him say 50’ at some point.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Voltage from the building service is not always the cause of shocks. There is sometimes stray voltage. That's part of what the Equipotential Bonding is for. The POCO could have a bad/broken neutral, the neighbors could have the same. So any voltage, stray or not, is attempted to be brought to the same potential as the pool and surrounding area. Turning off power to the pool will not always solve any hazard. The EB will not eliminate the voltage, but will bring it to the same potential so persons won't feel a shock.

kwired

Electron manager
I have a pool ... My check list is, turn the power off when in use.
That doesn't necessarily prevent issues if there is insufficient equipotential bonding. Even turning off service disconnect may not prevent issues with equipotential bonding. Disconnecting the grounded conductor from the utility's MGN is often what would be needed to eliminate issues with equipotential bonding.

garbo

During my 50 enjoyable years as an electrician only ran power once to an above ground pool that was a freebie for my sisters pool. Had a lot of insurance but always turned down running power to any pools because of life time liability issues. When I ran power to bathroom tub with a circulation pump would go the extra mile and use a guage larger copper ground wire and do a loop on it. Ran the copper wire from the cold water pipe to hot water pipe to metal drain to motor then back to cold water pipe. Just felt more comfortable doing that.

kwired

Electron manager
During my 50 enjoyable years as an electrician only ran power once to an above ground pool that was a freebie for my sisters pool. Had a lot of insurance but always turned down running power to any pools because of life time liability issues. When I ran power to bathroom tub with a circulation pump would go the extra mile and use a guage larger copper ground wire and do a loop on it. Ran the copper wire from the cold water pipe to hot water pipe to metal drain to motor then back to cold water pipe. Just felt more comfortable doing that.
I believe that bond wire is supposed to be 8 AWG.

The "loop" though probably not really going to hurt anything does leave a place for current to "circulate" should conditions develop to allow that to happen. Just a thought.

Occupation
C-10
Has anyone heard anything positive or negative about this company’s pool safety device? The company is called Safe water systems inc. And its an alarm that goes off if voltage is detected in water. looks like a pretty cool thing to install at residential pools.